Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will there ever be Apple Pencil support for iPhone?!

• Yes, but in the far future. (>3 years)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Yes, even in the near future! (<3 years)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, never.

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters

svrf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
Hi there,

While I personally don’t believe that it will ever happen, I think Apple should add Apple Pencil support to -at least!- the Pro models of iPhone. Especially considering Samsung added it to its major flagship, the galaxy series. The iPhone is capable of it and quick notes is just a great feature for making quick reminders or notes. This feature on an iPhone has the potential to change your productivity system for the better- and to simply not add it because SJ hated the idea over 10 years ago is just silly.
But what do you think? Curious to hear your thoughts about if Apple will add it, when and if there are rumors about it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don't think Apple would do it. They designed the Apple Pencil 2 to be attached and charged on iPads. That won't be possible on iPhone, so imagine is people only with an iPhone bought the Apple Pencil 2, how would they charge the pencil? Apple probably don't want to deal with this complication.

Reactions: Shirasaki

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^^this.

As a former Palm user, not missing styli. On iPhone, I have a Shortcut in a Widget that is a quick note function, so having to whip out a Pencil to jot something seems, to me, extra work. Add in smallish screen even on a Max, seems a bit unwieldy, not great for drawing on vs much more real estate on an iPad (especially Pros) to really put a Pencil to use.

Reactions: ZebraDude

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
While I’d like to have the option to use Apple Pencil with iPhone, I highly doubt it will ever happen. It would be hypocritical of them to do so considering Steve Jobs words during the original iPhone announcement. Plus the other complications mentioned above by others. Apple doesn’t care much about what Samsung is doing with their S pen. It’s not a big enough market to worry about right now.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I don't see it happening. For the use cases you mentioned, they'd rather have you use Siri or dictation. For writing on the small iPhone screen, I think that would be tough...maybe two or three words per line. I can write small on a piece of paper, but I can't write that small legibly on my iPad for some reason.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I would LOVE it. The S22Ultra is an amazing phone in my opinion simply due to that pen. In the words of one of the reviewers, you don’t need it, but you’ll miss it.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I think it’s within the realm of possibility, but I wouldn’t say it’s likely (didn’t know what to vote).
If it happened, the current Pencil might be compatible but Apple would probably make a mini Pencil just for the phone. Ideally it would be able to dock inside the phone like the Samsung pen, but it wouldn’t be able to because the Pencil uses bluetooth tech and therefore has a battery therefore making it too big. It would have to dock on the exterior (possibly in a phone case) or not docked at all, just loose in the pocket. But even if Apple changed the pen tech to be battery-less (which is unlikely because they’d either have to pay Wacom to license the tech or come up with their own tech which is apparently very hard), I‘m pretty certain they wouldn’t want to give up any space inside the iPhone for an optional accessory.

The reason I say it’s possible is:
- It seems useful to some people (I have no idea what percentage)
- It wasn‘t clear if Apple was against styluses being necessary or even just as an option—but either way, that sentiment was expressed long ago, so they might not care as much now.
- Apple seems to be more flexible with their design principles these days, opting for more function.
- Apple may be running out of features to add to the iPhone.

The reason I say not likely is:
- Apple might still be really against any stylus on a phone.
- My guess would be it’s not a big enough market to make Apple consider it.
- If the pen tech remains battery-powered, docking/charging would be awkward. I’m pretty sure the main method of charging would be from the phone, not a wall outlet, but it can’t attach to the side of the phone because it would get in the way of holding the phone. It could attach to the top but it would probably stick out on the sides which would look bad and make it fall off when putting it in the pocket. Maybe it could plug in the lightning port like OG Pencil but that was also awkward, plus there’s rumor of Apple eventually removing the port, and that would mean the Pencil would have to stay loose in the pocket which doesn’t seem like something Apple would want.
- A battery-less pen being thinner and not needing to charge opens up more options for storage. I could see Apple selling a case that has a slip in pocket for the pen. However, like I said, Wacom seems to have cornered the battery-less pen market, and I don’t see Apple wanting to pay for the license. But even if they did, it would be weird for the iPhone and iPad to have different pen tech with no inter-compatibility. And battery-less is much more convenient so there would be a lot of customers clamoring for iPad to adopt the same tech, but I don’t see Apple making that switch.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I can write small on a piece of paper, but I can't write that small legibly on my iPad for some reason.
I think it’s because writing on a glass screen is so much more slippery than on paper. Also the Pencil tip is more blunt, so not as precise as an analog pen or pencil. But mostly the former reason.

Reactions: PeteBurgh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.