Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GammaNumeric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2019
They already made the jump to 120Hz on iPad right? I'd love to make the jump to Macintosh computing but the refresh rate is a deal breaker. Due to my Windows set-up I am used to 144Hz refresh rates and hence everything else looks very cheap and stuttery to me.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am sure there will, once these display will become economically viable. Right now the larger panels with high refresh rates seem to have limited color and brightness space.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unknown.

What -is- "known" is that if they arrive, it won't be for some time...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Are there any Windows PCs with higher refresh rates that have resolutions higher than 1920x1080?

Yes, Razer Blade Pro (maybe others, no idea). That is a rather expensive display option, and if I remember correctly it lacks in other features.

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
Yes, Razer Blade Pro (maybe others, no idea). That is a rather expensive display option, and if I remember correctly it lacks in other features.

They (Razer) just started offering their 4k120 17" on the blade pro... spec'd out it is the same price as a spec'd out MBP...

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
They already made the jump to 120Hz on iPad right? I'd love to make the jump to Macintosh computing but the refresh rate is a deal breaker. Due to my Windows set-up I am used to 144Hz refresh rates and hence everything else looks very cheap and stuttery to me.

The issue is bandwidth. The 5K iMac uses 10-bit color at a large enough resolution that you need Displayport 1.4 to carry the signal, or two DisplayPort 1.2 channels, if you are using 60Hz.

To do 120Hz on a 5K iMac means dual DisplayPort 1.4 channels. Oof. At that point, it would be impossible to put the GPU to sleep and use the integrated GPU to drive the display, consuming more power (Intel currently still only supports 1.2 on their GPU blocks).

The 15" MacBook Pro should be able to do 120Hz, but it'd need dual 1.2 channels to do it (similar to the 5K iMac's screen). It could use DisplayPort 1.4, but has the same issue where you wouldn't be able to sleep the dGPU, which would be an even bigger hurdle on the MacBook line than the iMac, and noticeably impact battery life.

It looks like you'd also probably drop from support for two external 5K displays to one, as a result.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom

You must be the first person that I have heard from who has looked at a recent iMac display and said it looks cheap and stuttery! Some major film studios use them in production but if you need more then you will have to wait for display technology and interface bandwidth to move on a generation or two.

My eyes must be failing me as the view from my iMac Pro looks pretty darn good to me.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
They (Razer) just started offering their 4k120 17" on the blade pro... spec'd out it is the same price as a spec'd out MBP...

I don’t think that it makes any sense to do price comparisons here as the computers are just too different.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If Apple's yet-to-be-released Pro Display XDR is anything to go by, which peaks at 60 Hz, probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.