Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott Dickens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Will Wide monitors work with Mac Pro 2013, and if so, how? I use the machine for video and audio editing, but I can't seem to get anything more than a 30 refresh rate, but I realize now that it's the monitors I'm using. So I'm looking at this - https://bit.ly/3ejpTVL

Do you think it would work, and what cables should I use to drive the wide aspect ratio?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
I have basically the same question.

I'm using a Mac Pro 5,1 with AMD Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB) graphics card. It is currently handling 3 x Apple Cinema Displays (30" in centre from DVI port with 23" either side from mini DP), but I'd like to instead run a single 5120x1440 display. I KNOW it's not possible from DVI port (even Dual Link), but what about from one of the mini Display Ports?

On the whole, I suspect that the HD7950 cannot do this, so in which case, what would be a suitable graphics card that can handle this resolution? It needs to be metal capable (for Mojave->) and with a boot screen so probably an AMD card. Anyone suggest which, i.e. the cheapest that could handle the 5120x1440 of e.g. the monitor suggested by the OP?

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
As far as I can discover, the HD7950 cannot provide 5120x1440. So I'm going for a Sapphire RX580 which DOES offer 5120x1440 from the DisplayPorts. As does the RX560, but that is slightly slower than the HD7950 and has no DVI which I currently require.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.