Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Storrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
i have a blackbook with 512 ram and i have windows installed via bootcamp. i use windows to play Final Fantasy XI. The video performance isn't too bad but i wish i could be better. if i upgrade to 2 gigs of ram would that make the graphics run better since the graphics card is tied into the memory? or would the difference not be noticable? thanks for any response!

Storrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Thanks!

by the way i read that a lot of people are buying Crucial memory, I want to upgrade to 2 gigs and its in my price range from crucial (even thought its sold out right now) is crucial pretty good? I cant afford the $600 price tag from apple, are you kidding me lol

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I have heard that crucial is pretty good, but rather expensive. Datamem or OWC would be cheaper for basically the same RAM. (its not going to be the crucial brand, but it does have a lifetime warranty)

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Storrow said:
by the way i read that a lot of people are buying Crucial memory, I want to upgrade to 2 gigs and its in my price range from crucial (even thought its sold out right now) is crucial pretty good? I cant afford the $600 price tag from apple, are you kidding me lol

Most people buy the cheapo RAM and are fine with it.

I'd rather have 2GB of generic RAM than 1GB OF Crucial RAM anyday!

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
You probably won't get the performance boost you'd like, but having more ram always helps. Your video card is your main bottleneck, and adding more ram will only give you marginal improvements at best.

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Olympic Peninsula, WA
Max out your RAM for performance. The Blackbook isn't the ideal platform for gaming, but RAM will definitely make your system achieve its optimal state. I used to always buy Crucial or Kingston memory, but I tried OWC last time and it works just fine and has a lifetime warranty to boot.

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
MattyMac said:
I recommend buying ram from newegg. Great service, great products, and great prices.
Yeah, people get into the habit of thinking that if it's not a website that caters to Mac users, the RAM won't work. Truth is, PC RAM worked in Macs before, and works now too. Your Mac is an Intel PC inside, and buying RAM from NEwegg gives you broad selection and the best prices.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
CubeHacker said:
You probably won't get the performance boost you'd like, but having more ram always helps. Your video card is your main bottleneck, and adding more ram will only give you marginal improvements at best.
Yeah, exept the MacBook doesn't have a video card.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Unorthodox said:
Yeah, exept the MacBook doesn't have a video card.

Well if your going to be p-nicky about it, the iMac & MacBookPro dont have seperate video cards either, as they are grafted to their respective motherbords. :p yes they have dedicated ram, but not a dedicated board.

Storrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
follow up

i ordered two 1 gig sticks from newegg (great website shipping was fast as hell) it installed fine and I find that i can run many programs at once without the lag, which is great. However, it did nothing to improve the video performance in Windows :-( . I'm still glad I did it as it has improved the performance of my machine. I am also planning on putting in a 7200 RPM harddrive to speed things up a little. Thanks for your responses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.