Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
https://bgr.com/2018/06/26/how-to-downgrade-ios-12-public-beta-1-ios-11-4/

I know, I upgraded to the beta without first backing up my iOS 11 device. My bad.

Anyway, I'm thinking about rolling back to 11, but haven't decided yet. Came across the above link that describes this method of being able to roll back without having made a backup, but preserving your data.

"You’ll need iTunes to do it, so go get yourself a computer and a Lightning cable. You’ll want to download the iOS 11.4 build that matches your iPhone or iPad model, the IPSW file — just go here and find the appropriate software.

Once the hefty download is complete, you’ll have to put your iPhone or iPad in DFU mode, by following the instructions available here. When that’s done, hook your iOS device to the computer mentioned above, and go to iTunes.

Inside iTunes, go to the iPhone or iPad section, and the look for the Upgrade button. Press it while holding the Option Key on Mac or the Shift Key on Windows to get to a menu that will let you select the IPSW file you just downloaded.

That’s all you have to do to get away from iOS 12 public beta 1 and back to iOS 11.4 without losing any data."

jahin17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2016
London
Should work, don’t think you’ll lose any of your data. Seen others do it and they’ve not lost anything.

doubletap

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
Ashburn, VA
I've done that before with earlier versions, but there's always the risk that something leftover from ios12 won't play nicely with ios11.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
Should work, don’t think you’ll lose any of your data. Seen others do it and they’ve not lost anything.

Interesting, b/c I've always heard that if you don't backup before installing the beta, you can't go back to the regular shipping version of the previous iOS without just starting from scratch.

jahin17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2016
London
Interesting, b/c I've always heard that if you don't backup before installing the beta, you can't go back to the regular shipping version of the previous iOS without just starting from scratch.
I'm trying to back up now just incase I go back to iOS 12 but iTunes doesn't seem to be recognising my iPhone. keeps saying software update needed.

dj95

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
I would take some caution. In general this method works but I’ve lost some data doing this before. Only select things, like it wiped my entire camera roll (even with iCloud Photo Library turned on) or deleted contacts etc. I guess that’s totally case specific and just something that went wrong with that particular roll back but definitely take care and back up with iOS 12 beforehand

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
The replies with this method "mostly" working are very very helpful. Great to hear from real world experiences. Thank you

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015
I have a question, can i use my apple watch on 4.3.2 with my iphone on ios 12 public beta?

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015
i have ios 11.4.1 on my iphone and 4.
3.2 on my watch already , just asking if i update my iphone to beta if it still works , thanks for answers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.