Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I'm thinking of getting this monitor, it says in one of the reviews that it had a DVI input, am I right in thinking that I will need to purchase the mini DV - DVI connector from Apple to connect my MacBook to it?

Also, I am having trouble finding wireless mice and keyboards, I think I'm going to go bluetooth because I can't afford to lose anymore USB ports because of my recording setup. Quick question, can I have both a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard running at the same time, there won't be any conflicts will there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I believe you need a MiniVGA > VGA connector instead of DVI. Doesn't the MacBook have MiniVGA as opposed to MiniDVI?

& Yes, you can connect multiple BT devices at once.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I could of sworn the Macbook's were DVI? Perhaps I'm wrong, not really sure, could anybody else please confirm an answer?

Thanks for the info about BT devices, thats great news. :)

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Your MacBook has a mini-DVI video out port that allows you to connect an external display or projector using a mini-DVI adapter. Choose the one that works with your display’s video interface.

From the Apple site, the Macbook is mini-DVI out, so should I get a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, or mini-DVI to VGA adapter? Are there any advantages/disadvantages with either?

Also, bit of a shot in the dark, but would I be able to connect a Nintendo Wii to the monitor I mentioned in my first post?

Many thanks.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I'm pretty sure that a Wii can't output to DVI or VGA. Don't hold me to it though.

No I didn't think it would, too good to be true eh? I would need an LCD TV to do that I think, nevermind I'll just use the television in the lounge for gaming on the Wii (if I ever manage to get hold of one!).

Anyway, with this monitor, what cable am I going to need as a bridge to connect my MacBook to it?

Thanks for the help everyone.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
No, you just need a monitor with a compatible input. My Dell 2007WFP, for example, has S-video and Composite inputs, so the wii would work on mine. That monitor you're looking at seems like a great deal, though, so maybe you can just spend way too much time hogging the TV in the lounge.

The cable you'll need is one that turns the mini-DVI from your macbook into a regular size DVI output. It's $19 at the US apple store.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
No, you just need a monitor with a compatible input. My Dell 2007WFP, for example, has S-video and Composite inputs, so the wii would work on mine. That monitor you're looking at seems like a great deal, though, so maybe you can just spend way too much time hogging the TV in the lounge.

The cable you'll need is one that turns the mini-DVI from your macbook into a regular size DVI output. It's $19 at the US apple store.

Okay, thanks very much for your help, I'll go ahead and order that monitor and the cable from the Apple store, cheers. :)

Out of interest, Xbox 360's are able to output VGA aren't they?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
If you get a component cable for the Wii and a component to VGA adapter then you should be able to use that to hook it all up. It'd look better than through a TV capture card. :)

One of these, one of these and one of these should do the job. You could probably pick up the couplers for cheaper from a local Maplins though. :)

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Wow, thanks guys, thats got me really excited about playing a Wii on the monitor now :)

Thanks for all the help.

EDIT: Okay, I've just ordered that monitor and the mini DVI - DVI adapter from the Apple store, the monitor will be here on friday and the adapter will be here anytime from friday. Thanks again for the help.

Sorry to keep blasting questions at you all, but could anyone reccomend any wireless keyboard/mouse solutions, my budget will be relatively tight now (<£45 for both keyboard and mouse). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
The apple bluetooth keyboard is hard to beat. Try to get a cheap one off of here or perhaps ebay. Your keyboard selection will be pretty limited unless you feel like using a windows keyboard.

As for mice, It's up to you whether you like the mighty mouse or not. I didn't, so I bought a microsoft bluetooth mouse that works pretty well and fits my hand nicely.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
The apple bluetooth keyboard is hard to beat. Try to get a cheap one off of here or perhaps ebay. Your keyboard selection will be pretty limited unless you feel like using a windows keyboard.

As for mice, It's up to you whether you like the mighty mouse or not. I didn't, so I bought a microsoft bluetooth mouse that works pretty well and fits my hand nicely.

Okay thanks, I was looking at the Apple BT keyboard on the Apple site and it's a bit out of my price range, so I'll try eBay, or maybe get the keyboard now and get a mouse next month when I get paid.

Totally agree with you about the mighty mouse, we have them at college and IMO it is awful, can't stand the thing.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Don't even think about playing video games over a TV capture card. There is a slight delay that makes gaming impossible.

Good suggestion on the VGA adapter, though

That's not true with the newer tv cards. I use an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid with my Wii and it works a treat, there's no discernable delay whatsoever. Cards with hardware encoding did have a delay (i.e. all USB1 adapters).

Julian, you could get a few quid off the bluetooth keyboard with a student discount or a higher education discount. Its a lovely keyboard. I'm a fan of the Mighty Mouse too these days although my ball's becoming a nuiscance lately.

:p

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
That's not true with the newer tv cards. I use an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid with my Wii and it works a treat, there's no discernable delay whatsoever. Cards with hardware encoding did have a delay (i.e. all USB1 adapters).

Julian, you could get a few quid off the bluetooth keyboard with a student discount or a higher education discount. Its a lovely keyboard. I'm a fan of the Mighty Mouse too these days although my ball's becoming a nuiscance lately.

:p

Yeah, I'm elegible for the HE discount so I always buy using that. works out £5ish cheaper, can't remember exactly how much. Thanks for all the help everyone! :)

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
If you get a component cable for the Wii and a component to VGA adapter then you should be able to use that to hook it all up. It'd look better than through a TV capture card. :)

One of these, one of these and one of these should do the job. You could probably pick up the couplers for cheaper from a local Maplins though. :)

Spanky Deluxe, would this do the same as what you have suggested? Or am I completely wrong in thinking it could be this simple?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Spanky Deluxe, would this do the same as what you have suggested? Or am I completely wrong in thinking it could be this simple?

I think that only works with RGB Scart devices which I don't think the Wii is. A Wii Component cable coupled with a component to VGA adapter should give you the best image quality possible out of your Wii. If my ACD had a VGA input this is definitely the route I would choose. :)

You could probably get the wii component cables cheaper if you find them in a high street store, they're just a bit hard to find right now. Either that or you could order the parts from Hong Kong eBayers and wait a while. Any electrical store should have the couplers but some could heavily overcharge them. If you're heading into Brighton anytime soon you could head over to Maplins on London Road, they'd be a good bet for the couplers and maybe even the component to VGA cables. Places like Game and small games shops would ge a good place to look for the Wii cables.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I think that only works with RGB Scart devices which I don't think the Wii is. A Wii Component cable coupled with a component to VGA adapter should give you the best image quality possible out of your Wii. If my ACD had a VGA input this is definitely the route I would choose. :)

You could probably get the wii component cables cheaper if you find them in a high street store, they're just a bit hard to find right now. Either that or you could order the parts from Hong Kong eBayers and wait a while. Any electrical store should have the couplers but some could heavily overcharge them. If you're heading into Brighton anytime soon you could head over to Maplins on London Road, they'd be a good bet for the couplers and maybe even the component to VGA cables. Places like Game and small games shops would ge a good place to look for the Wii cables.

Thanks for the heads up. I havent actually got my Wii yet, but it's good to know exactly what I need to do to get it up and running on my LCD monitor. Thanks for the info on Maplins, I live in Angmering (near Worthing) so Brighton isn't all that far, plus I work there sometimes so I will pop in at some stage.

Thanks for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.