Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpneed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I have bought a new unlocked iPhone 6 from John Lewis in London.
This is to be opened on the Christmas day. My daughter intends to put in her existing "3" sim in this new phone.
Once this is done, will this new phone will be locked to carrier 3?
Can she change to different career on a later date?

Thanking you in advance for your time replying.

Regards

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If the phone is unlocked then it should work with any carrier that its hardware supports and will remain unlocked.

Reactions: helpneed

freedomisle

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
I have bought a new unlocked iPhone 6 from John Lewis in London.
This is to be opened on the Christmas day. My daughter intends to put in her existing "3" sim in this new phone.
Once this is done, will this new phone will be locked to carrier 3?
Can she change to different career on a later date?

Thanking you in advance for your time replying.

Regards

I read that in the UK unless purchased directly from Apple the iPhone will lock itself to the first sim. I have never tested this theory

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
I read that in the UK unless purchased directly from Apple the iPhone will lock itself to the first sim. I have never tested this theory

This is true if purchased from Carphone warehouse, not sure about John Lewis though.
The only way to be sure of getting a totally unlocked iPhone in the UK is to buy direct from Apple.

helpneed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013

Mmmm.... This is the first iPhone in our home. If it gets locked to the first sim, and on a future date could I get the iPhone unlocked to put in a sim from a different provider?

Do you have any idea?

Thanking you for highlighting this.

Regards

freedomisle

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
Mmmm.... This is the first iPhone in our home. If it gets locked to the first sim, and on a future date could I get the iPhone unlocked to put in a sim from a different provider?

Do you have any idea?

Thanking you for highlighting this.

Regards

You can get it unlocked. However, you will need to contact the company it is locked to. Consider that before you put in your first sim. Some companies are easier and cheaper than others.

Once you unlock it, it will remained unlocked, even if you put another sim in. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.