Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ernst Krenek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Horten, Norway
I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered, it probably has; however I was unable to search my way to an answer.

On this web page, methods are outlined for how to revert from iOS 11 beta to 10.3.3. I have looked into a couple of other instructions on the web, too.

However, in the particular case of "method 1" in the article in question, there seems to be some hope that on device data is maintained. The hope arises from the fact that loss of data is not mentioned. Other places I've read that all data on device will be lost and that it will not be possible to reinstall anything from a previous iOS 11 backup – which makes sense, even to me who's not very much in the know about these things.

Do you think "method 1" will maintain on device data?

To be precise: I'm specifically concerned about messages. Everything else is in the cloud (and for a while, messages was too …).

Thanks.

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
This morning while I was downgrading my SE to 10.3.3 I used method 1, however, while I was downgrading the phone failed and iTunes told me I had to wipe my phone and "update" to 10.3.3. I did that and then used a week old backup from 10.3.3, as the iOS 11 ones obviously didn't work. I'm not sure if this will be useful to you because my situation was probably rare, but if you want to safely downgrade there is a chance that what happened to me will happen and your phone will be forced to be wiped.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
You risk a chance of corrupting your data and having some default apps such as Notes completely fail on you if you upgrade in place to 10.3.3 over iOS 11.

Ernst Krenek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Horten, Norway
I went ahead with the endeavour and am dismayed to report a resounding "confirmed!" to all of your warnings. The update failed out of the blue. The phone needed to be recovered. End result: full & complete loss of all data.

I should probably know the answer to the next question, but bear with me:

Can I now install iOS 11 and reinstall from an iOS 11 backup I did earlier tonight? Silly question I believe, but I want to get things right if at all possible.

Reactions: Flopstar

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
I went ahead with the endeavour and am dismayed to report a resounding "confirmed!" to all of your warnings. The update failed out of the blue. The phone needed to be recovered. End result: full & complete loss of all data.

I should probably know the answer to the next question, but bear with me:

Can I now install iOS 11 and reinstall from an iOS 11 backup I did earlier tonight? Silly question I believe, but I want to get things right if at all possible.

You can tell it to install 10.3.3, set the phone up as new, update to 11 GM, wipe the phone, and use an iCloud backup to get your data back. Or you could be like me: stay on 10.3.3 and use an older backup that works with the firmware (if you have one). Mine was only 6 days old as I installed the GM on Tues.

Ernst Krenek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Horten, Norway
Thanks all for your advice and insight. For this particular device and for several reasons, I had to take the road of reinstalling iOS 11, wiping etc.

(In short, a person with a 6 16 GB wanted to take the advantage of a 5 64 GB laying around the house. The 6 was on 11 beta, the 5 is not compatible, I stumbled upon the article I linked to in the original post …)

Reactions: Flopstar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.