Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, I tried Clonezilla and other free backups on Windows to backUp Windows Boot Camp for almost two days (I wish I had US$49 at the moment to buy Winclone 10, this'd solve it in hours X-D ), it keeps failing to backup onto a new SSD (image or clone). I'm guessing any non-macOS based cloner or imager gets confused when the Windows Boot Camp Partition is in a hard drive which has macOS volume (w/ the EFI folder, and a 600MB+ unallocated partitions/volumes). The drive's capacity w/ Boot Camp and macOS is 2TB (not-fusioned).

Even if the Boot Camp partition is just 600GB and my external SSD is 1TB, it fails (I've checked the integrity of this brand new Crucial SSD, it's in good health).

I wonder if this'll work w/ Clonezilla: I erase all that's related to macOS, delete it (I've backed it up to Time Machine), just leaven the Boot Camp Windows partition, the EFI partition (if Windows Boot Camp uses that) and an unallocated 600MB+ partition (I wonder what's that for) and then do a clone, hopefully Clonezilla will clone the Boot Camp partition and neglect the empty space so it it fits in 1TB?

I then restore the Boot Camp Windows onto another internal 1TB SSD (essentially erasing Boot Camp in the macOS drive, so each OS has it's own separate hard drive)? I'll actually just recycling and transferring things with (juggling the SSDs I have on hand) the external 1TB and erasing SSD switching it to an internal one but that'll be later if I get to back up Boot Camp.

Should that SIP be disabled or it's not related to why Clonezilla is failing (it did seem to write about 176GB medium compressed when I used the image back up feature).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.