Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Simple question...

I need to be able to run Quark 5 in Classic in order to save documents down to Quark 4. This is because Quark 6 will only save down v5... :mad:

Some of our freelancers are still using Quark 4 and occasionally I need to send stuff to them.

Or will Tiger make that clean break with the past and ditch Classic support?

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
Blue Velvet said:
Simple question...

I need to be able to run Quark 5 in Classic in order to save documents down to Quark 4. This is because Quark 6 will only save down v5... :mad:

Some of our freelancers are still using Quark 4 and occasionally I need to send stuff to them.

You put me in a panic on that one, never thought of it, will classic be supported in Tiger? I use 1 piece of equipment that must have classic, no drivers for X even, and our pre-press area uses X with classic and some of the folks down there prefer to work in Illustrator 8 much less 9, Illustrator 10 was the first for OS X. If they knock out support for classic in Tiger, nobody will want to even upgrade for awhile down in our pre-press area. I still see more Illustrator 8 files in the printing business than the newer 10 or CS versions. Usually Hardware, OS and software is 2 years behind in this business, oh we have the latest, but usually only on 2 or 3 computers. We have 8 computers or Macs and 5 are in OS 9.1 to 9.2.2 sometimes running through OS X, only 3 are in Panther and those are not pre-press. computers. I did a search on the net, came up blank, surely there must be a Developer that knows, maybe someone who is a member of this list? Of course Tiger may not even be out until Christmas, nobody knows that one also.

Brian

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
My Systems Engineer sent me an email. He said no need to panic, because it does not matter if Tiger does not support Classic, cause they are not going to use it probably for at least 2 years. So he does not care, but he did say there is a possibility that Tiger will not support Classic, he is not really sure, so I'll shut up now.

Brian

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Apple will support Classic for as long as they make computers.

Very easy to include in the OS as all the work as already been done and only needs minor tweaks for combatibilty.

No need to worry.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Eastend said:
...no need to panic, because it does not matter if Tiger does not support Classic, cause they are not going to use it probably for at least 2 years.

No panicking here. :D

Just planning & getting info for my home and work upgrade path.

Unfortunately, in the graphics/pre-press field, Classic/OS9 is hanging around like a bad smell.

Why o why can't we move permanently into the sunny uplands where the big cats roam? These heel-draggers are pissing me off...

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Yes, classic is still supported by Tiger.

(admittedly, the last time I actually had classic installed was back in the old OS X 10.0.x days, but the prefpane is still there)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
tersono said:
Yes, classic is still supported by Tiger.

(admittedly, the last time I actually had classic installed was back in the old OS X 10.0.x days, but the prefpane is still there)

Heh.... my iMac has OS 9 still installed (it was back in the day when OS 9 and 10.1 came installed)
But I haven't used classic for a while. When I upgrade to Tiger I think I'll uninstall it and regain some gigs of HD space.

EDIT: I'll keep Classic and get rid of OS 9 is what I meant. Damn that random thinking process!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mechcozmo said:
Heh.... my iMac has OS 9 still installed (it was back in the day when OS 9 and 10.1 came installed)
But I haven't used classic for a while. When I upgrade to Tiger I think I'll uninstall it and regain some gigs of HD space.
Classic takes up much less than 1 GB of HD space.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
combatcolin said:
Apple will support Classic for as long as they make computers.

Very easy to include in the OS as all the work as already been done and only needs minor tweaks for combatibilty.

No need to worry.

I doubt that...I expect it will support classic for a while, but not forever.

Just like MS doesn't support Windows 3.1 or 2.0 programs anymore, someday it'll be so old there is no purpose in supporting it.

Perhaps when OS 11 comes out.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mechcozmo said:
Er... I meant OS 9... oops... :eek:
Classic is MacOS 9. If by MacOS 9, you mean the OS and all of the third-party apps that run under MacOS 9, then you may have a point. But, if you are running a lot of MacOS 9 apps, then you need MacOS X replacements before you delete MacOS 9.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
MisterMe said:
Classic is MacOS 9. If by MacOS 9, you mean the OS and all of the third-party apps that run under MacOS 9, then you may have a point. But, if you are running a lot of MacOS 9 apps, then you need MacOS X replacements before you delete MacOS 9.

~sigh~ I botched what I was trying to say. OS 9 is a complete operating system on my iMac. I don't like it there because I don't use it for anything. If I need to do something in OS 9 then I can do it in classic.

Classic is OS 9 but in a stripped-down form that is more of a seamless emulator in OS X. OS 9 is the full thing.

I want Classic, don't want OS 9. Get it or did I botch this one up too?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Blue Velvet said:
Simple question...

your fw800 g4 doesnt boot os 9? i seem to remember that all g4 powermacs booted 9? or was that just the slower ones they sold alongside the g5?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
homerjward said:
your fw800 g4 doesnt boot os 9? i seem to remember that all g4 powermacs booted 9? or was that just the slower ones they sold alongside the g5?

Nope. Was one of the first G4s to only boot into OS X.

Check Point B at the bottom of this page... the install disks that came with the Mac are Jaguar.

Besides, Classic is easier than rebooting into another OS... my font utilities, Adobe apps & other stuff only run in OSX. I can't get that much done in an OS9 environment.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mechcozmo said:
~sigh~ I botched what I was trying to say. OS 9 is a complete operating system on my iMac. I don't like it there because I don't use it for anything. If I need to do something in OS 9 then I can do it in classic.

Classic is OS 9 but in a stripped-down form that is more of a seamless emulator in OS X. OS 9 is the full thing.

I want Classic, don't want OS 9. Get it or did I botch this one up too?
To say that you botched-up again would be kind. Classic is not an emulator. Classic is not stripped down. Compared to a computer that boots exclusively into MacOS 9, the Classic System Folder is a superset of the MacOS 9 System Folder.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
MisterMe said:
To say that you botched-up again would be kind. Classic is not an emulator. Classic is not stripped down. Compared to a computer that boots exclusively into MacOS 9, the Classic System Folder is a superset of the MacOS 9 System Folder.

Heh... but you don't have to have the same amount of stuff in a Classic System Folder to boot classic as compared to if you were actually booting the whole computer into Mac OS 9. He will undoubtedly save some space by erasing all of his files and applications associated with his OS 9 days, but wether or not he will save much System Folder space is debatable. ;)

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I have no use for classic anymore. I actually haven't had to use classic since 10.1

I always delete classic from CoreServices and the classic prefpane. I don't classic needs to be supported by Apple anymore but a lot of people still have to use it because some of their apps are not supported natively by OS X. To me, supporting classic is like supporting an ex-girlfriend. You do need to do it.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Borrowing from a previous thread regarding features in OS9 missing in OSx was the ability to print folder contents, great for including on a CD insert. I just realized you can drag the folder you want of its contents printed by just dragging the folder onto a printer icon. The printer icon is listed in ~/Library/Printers. You can make an alias on the desktop or drag into the Dock. It will print out the contents of the folder. Neat little trick I just found out.

BTW, I had the opportunity to completely do a re-install of OSX and have erased classic from my computers to free up HD space. I'd keep a legacy OS9 PowerMac in cases where Quark compatibility is needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.