Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Henners9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2023
I have an iPhone 15 and I’m wondering as I always use my iPhone after applying hand cream to my hands could the hand cream cause any damage to the device at all?

• Haha
Reactions: Splitrail

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If excessive amounts of it get on the phone I would think it's not exactly good for it.. If you just have a normal amount rubbed into your hands I doubt it will cause serious damage. Greasy screen and fingerprints is about it

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I'd say it depends on what type of handcream being used. Its a chemical compound and it might damage the oleophpbic coating.
Apple has an article where they talk about how to clean the device and mention a few things to consider and what chemicals to stay away from.

Might be a good thing to consider a good quality screen protector, that way you won't damage the original surface.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Like others mentioned, if you’re apply excessive amount of cream on your hands, it could be cause for concern. But I apply some hand cream on my hands in the winter after I shower and use my SE3 afterward. I haven’t experienced any issues, but I’m not using an excessive amount either — and subsequently wipe my phone off with my shirt after I’m done using it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Probably no good if it gets in the earpiece and speaker/mic holes.

Elsewhere on the chassis should be fine. One alcohol wipe can remove that stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.