Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I never intended to purchase and keep a Vision Pro as I didn’t expect the headset to justify the price. Now that it’s out my feelings are confirmed, even though I think it’s very interesting and beautifully designed I know I will never buy one in it’s current incarnation.

Yesterday, I decided to pick up a Quest 3 (got it for £370 new) as a bit of an impulse buy, which I can use as a standalone device (which has spacial video coming very soon) and a headset for my gaming pc for some PCVR.

It’s a great little device and while it’s not on the same level as the Vision Pro in many respects, it has a lot of positives over it too. This got me wondering how many sales may be generated by people who were originally waiting for the Vision Pro, and then thought “actually, no”.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I just went to a big Best Buy like store in Berlin to get a case for my Quest 3 and they only had Quest 2 devices (ironically 50 € more than straight from Meta) anyway, all the Quest 3 were sold out.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I’m definitely debating buying a Quest 3 in addition to my AVP. Seen certain YouTube reviews indicating the Quest is cool but also half baked.

Would like a few VR/AR games to play and there’s surprisingly nothing for AVP.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Absolutely, most people will find the Quest 3 accomplishes something like 50% to 70% of what the Vision Pro does but at 1/7th of the price. It makes sense for more people, but for those who want and are willing to pay much more for the more premium experience and that 30%-50% that’s missing from the Quest 3, the VP is here.

Reactions: Dovahkiing

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I have both. Both have different use cases.

Q3 is strictly for games
AVP for movies and entertainment

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Q3 can be set up with boundaries. Play games where you move around.
AVP has no such ability. No controllers. No games like that coming. It's a sit and look at stuff device. Move windows around. Watch videos. Superior resolution and colors.

davvid97

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Out of curiosity I bought Quest 3 to see what are the use cases for such device - I was interested mainly on the productivity use case such as using immersed (read reddit and many people are really amazed by it).
First thing after turning it on, I was so shocked seeing the passthrough quality - it is completely unusable even in good lighting (just to orient you in the space or see if you want to pick up something that lies close to you) but if you do not want to get dizzy you need to use virtual environment right away.
The display quality is bad too, I tried immersed and meta's software for connecting MacBook to it,
/ web browsing using default browser or using YouTube VR app, it works and the concept of having external display that you can locate anywhere or even more than 1 displays is great, but the resolution is not there yet for Quest 3, the text is readable but like on 1080 monitor that I remember from the office, nothing like my home setup or MacBook displays, and it is when you use whole pov, when you squeeze it so you have more monitors it is not usable, and having to move head and eyes all around so it is readable is not good, the contrast, colours are not good too so I wouldn't use it for web browsing or movies.
Games - it is great for games actually, the gameplay is smooth, controllers tracking is perfect, it is immersive and fun.
The window is locked stable in space in one location, also hand tracking is good, it is possible to use hand as a controller or tap directly on the virtual window just fine.
Comfort wise - it is okay, probably would need to change the strap to bobovr so it is less cheeks squeezing.
The fans are also hearable, I do not know how it is in the other head devices but I am so used to work in total silence since 2016 12" MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.