Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I'am guessing that OSX 10.7 will get shipped on DVD but will the next OSX be on blu ray or will mac get rid of the optical drives in the future and preinstall the osx software in the future.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Given the new MacBook Airs' reinstall drive, it's far more likely that if DVDs ever get too small for OS X, we'll see it distributed via USB drive.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Given the new MacBook Airs' reinstall drive, it's far more likely that if DVDs ever get too small for OS X, we'll see it distributed via USB drive.
To clarify, the MacBook Air now comes with OS X on a flash drive.

You can bet the Macs will never have BluRay natively. Apple is going to skip it and go straight to downloads. Heck, they've already started with iTunes and now the Mac App Store.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
To clarify, the MacBook Air now comes with OS X on a flash drive.

You can bet the Macs will never have BluRay natively. Apple is going to skip it and go straight to downloads. Heck, they've already started with iTunes and now the Mac App Store.
I don't believe this to be true. I think they will put off blue ray as long as possible.. Then once they are cheap enough for them to make a huge profit they will introduce them as a BTO option.
There are more uses for blueray than what every day consumers will be using.

Movie studios use mac pros quite a bit.. Burning their hours and hours of footage onto DVDs can sometimes be tedious when often a single blueray can get the same job done.
At the same time, blue ray makes for great data back up..

So once blueray drives are ~75 dollar range... and apple can charge 2-300 dollars for the option.. You will see blue ray :D

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I too think it'll be a while before we see Blu-ray drives in the Mac lineup, but I'm hoping that 10.7 at least allows for Blu-ray playback for those that elect to get a third-party Blu-ray drive for their machines.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
apple will probably never have blu ray, in part because that will eat into their core business of selling/renting content.

They have also commented on the licensing aspect of Blu Ray, as a factor though I'm not sure that's more of Jobs throwing up his RDF

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
There are two primary reasons.

1) As said earlier, it would be a competitor to iTunes.
2) Blu-Ray supposedly requires decoding software to run with root privileges, which could potentially lead to exploits and such.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Blu-Ray supposedly requires decoding software to run with root privileges, which could potentially lead to exploits and such.

Oh please.

Those security holes will be the responsibility of the software companies that make BD playback software, not Apple's.

Windows plays BD fine. Have you ever seen any windows machine being hacked due to BD?

Chozo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I don't get it... why bluray?

I'm sick of people asking this and it's absolutely ridiculous that no one gets it.

How many of you out there remember a point in time when Apple prided itself for any kind of media creation? Do they still? I don't know anymore.

One thing that IS prevailing is HD media. So if I want to burn my HD media to a disc on a Mac...oh wait. Who needs a blu-ray disc when you have flash drives, right? Fine, let's go down this route. Not every blu-ray player has a usb connection and I think most of us know how much codecs are a pain in the ass when it comes to a lot of media devices in general.

What if I want to watch a blu-ray movie on my iMac with a "higher than HD resolution?" Oh wait...I am forced to watch compressed HD video off of iTunes and other sources. And those of us in Canada have capped bandwidth (Awesome!). So compressed video/audio mixed with a capped bandwidth limit means my new awesome iMac display is useless for movies.

It just comes down to functionality. What reason is there to NOT have it? If I want to have an option to hook my Mac Mini up to my TV, why do I have to use another device to play blu-ray?

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
I'm sick of people asking this and it's absolutely ridiculous that no one gets it.

How many of you out there remember a point in time when Apple prided itself for any kind of media creation? Do they still? I don't know anymore.

One thing that IS prevailing is HD media. So if I want to burn my HD media to a disc on a Mac...oh wait. Who needs a blu-ray disc when you have flash drives, right? Fine, let's go down this route. Not every blu-ray player has a usb connection and I think most of us know how much codecs are a pain in the ass when it comes to a lot of media devices in general.

What if I want to watch a blu-ray movie on my iMac with a "higher than HD resolution?" Oh wait...I am forced to watch compressed HD video off of iTunes and other sources. And those of us in Canada have capped bandwidth (Awesome!). So compressed video/audio mixed with a capped bandwidth limit means my new awesome iMac display is useless for movies.

It just comes down to functionality. What reason is there to NOT have it? If I want to have an option to hook my Mac Mini up to my TV, why do I have to use another device to play blu-ray?

Whoa buddy, I didn't mean that at all:cool:. I was asking, why should the next versions of OSX be on bluray. I was not asking why a bluray drive should be put in Macs.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
If we are using OSs that require more than a 9gb DVD to install from then we have bigger problems to worry about!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Movie studios use mac pros quite a bit.. Burning their hours and hours of footage onto DVDs can sometimes be tedious when often a single blueray can get the same job done.
At the same time, blue ray makes for great data back up..

So once blueray drives are ~75 dollar range... and apple can charge 2-300 dollars for the option.. You will see blue ray :D
Movie, production and recording studios all use external hard drives because they're so cheap per GB.

They have also commented on the licensing aspect of Blu Ray, as a factor though I'm not sure that's more of Jobs throwing up his RDF
It's not. It's fairly wide known how bad the licensing is. It's gotten better but it's still not great from what I understand.

To clarify what I meant, I could see a BTO for the Mac Pro and 17" MBP for pro use eventually but I highly doubt you'll see it as an option on the iMac, MB or 13" & 15" MBP.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Movie, production and recording studios all use external hard drives because they're so cheap per GB.

It's not. It's fairly wide known how bad the licensing is. It's gotten better but it's still not great from what I understand.

To clarify what I meant, I could see a BTO for the Mac Pro and 17" MBP for pro use eventually but I highly doubt you'll see it as an option on the iMac, MB or 13" & 15" MBP.
Ah your right, external hard drives have slipped my mind.:D

As for licensing, I have seen some very low end acer laptops with blue ray drives.. If they can do it, why not apple- for at least a BTO option?

Arnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Vancouver, BC
I've always kind of assumed (and, you know, to assume is to make an ass of u and me) that we wouldn't get Bluray drives in Macs until OS X can provide the protected video playback paths that Bluray requires. That may or may not be coming in 10.7, but I don't think Apple want to include the drives if you can't watch a Bluray movie with them.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Why don't you just wait for Apple to put HDMI in their machine's, then use an external blu ray drive.

I don't think we will ever see blu ray drives in Apple products (while SJ is still CEO); but I can see HDMI ports, in the iMac's; however, Apple (Steve) loves Light Peak which, can / will / could, replace HDMI, so I can see Apple skipping HDMI straight to lightpeak, in 2012...

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I'd be really disappointed in apple if their OS install disk needed more space than a Dual layer DVD...

Although I agree, we're more likely to see a USB key drive than optical media. Such faster transfer sp reds than optical...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.