Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Is there any chance that we will get an overview of the BTO and Kit prices for the Mac Pro 2019 before the preorder/order goes live?

It would be nice to be able to plan this a bit ahead before the preorder goes live. Especially the GPU prices are tricky to estimate, but who knows about the Afterburner card too.

A nice plan would be to announce a price list like one or two weeks before the preorder date (both announcements at the same time of course). Not sure Apple has done this before with a Mac, but they know they owe up to the Pro customers.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
If it’s like the iMac Pro launch we won’t see configuration pricing until the day it can be ordered and we may not know the launch date any sooner than 2 days prior (on 12 December 2017 Apple announced the iMac Pro can be ordered on 14 December 2017).

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
If it’s like the iMac Pro launch we won’t see configuration pricing until the day it can be ordered and we may not know the launch date any sooner than 2 days prior (on 12 December 2017 Apple announced the iMac Pro can be ordered on 14 December 2017).

Too bad, that is not much of an early “warning”.

I wonder whether supply will be very limited at launch or there should be no reason to rush with the order. Kind of difficult to predict.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
(and given the price of these things, they are definitely a capital expense)
In my (big) company, a Chromebook is a capital expense.

By definition - for us laptops, desktops, servers, and storage are CapEx. For most other items, if the line item expense is over $5K it is CapEx.

I spent about $30K on a 1 TiB RAM upgrade for a server - but since each DIMM was less than $5K it was OpEx. The total price was $30K, but it was less than $5K per DIMM.

Different companies apply different rules to the CapEx/OpEx divide.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Unfortunately, the release and pricing timing is pretty late for a lot of companies. Most will have at least preliminary 2020 budgets set before October. A few companies I work with are setting aside $7500/workstation for Q1 2020 purchases, but I really do not think that will be "enough" to get what they want. They are adamant against purchasing in Q4 2019. If tariffs are passed along, that may change their minds.

Personally will wait until November/December before making a purchase plan or decision. Have several technical questions about configuration possibilities before I actually decide to buy in or not, or else implement another stopgap until I can buy in. My personal MP5,1 will likely be semi-retired before the end of Q2 2020 regardless of the plan forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.