Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
So how would we know about an app that is iPad only? Would all the apps that are made for the iPad have "iPad" in the title?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
So how would we know about an app that is iPad only? Would all the apps that are made for the iPad have "iPad" in the title?

Someone said in the keynote that there will be a special section for iPad apps. Plus apps already list the devices they are compatible with on their App Store pages.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
To answer the thread's title.
No, you won't have to. You don't have to buy any apps. Your choice.
The market is competitive, so i'd imagine there will be some push on the developers to do a good job -
Because for one, anyone using their iPhone apps on an iPad, may well down-rate the current app version, as it could look blocky.
So you might see a push for developers to at least sort the issue of scaling an iPhone app to an iPad.
As for iPad native apps - some will, some won't (e.g. see Scrivener. if they did one it'd totally be worth buying separately).

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Any developer who makes me buy an app again just for the iPad interface will never see another dime from me again.
This makes no sense at all.

So... I guess you will take all your old DVD's back to the store and demand Blu-Ray versions for free?
I believe that you may be on to something. :)

I have Omni Focus on my Mac and iPhone. It should run on the iPad fine. And that is good. If I want to purchase the new version that takes advantage of the iPad's larger screen, then I would expect to be required to pay for that new version. Now if Omni provides the iPad version for free, then that's great but not expected.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
So why should they even bother updating the apps at all?

Because they now have a whole new market with millions (potentially) of potential customers. Duh.

This is an opportunity for people who have already established a customer base on iPhone to grow that on a new platform. Do you really think everyone who buys an iPad already has an iPhone?

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
So... I guess you will take all your old DVD's back to the store and demand Blu-Ray versions for free?

In light of some recent comments by people who are actually informed about the situation can we put this silly meme to bed?

Smule (tpain app, ocarnia, etc) CEO Jeff Smith interview with All things D:

money quote here (2:45 into the interview):

In contrast, Smith said that porting an iPhone app to the iPad only results in a “2, 3, or 4%” increase in development costs as it’s the same OS wrapped a different form factor, which Smith notes is something they can factor into their code and ultimately have just 1 app for both platforms.

interview here: http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20100305/an-apple-app-star-explains-why-he-wont-work-with-android/

Any developer that takes the iPad launch as a chance to gouge customers who have already purchased their iPhone apps will be cutting their own throat in the marketplace.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
It's in the developer's hands... each app will be different.

Exactly. Some apps will just get an interface update to better fit the iPad, while others might be able to add a whole bunch of new features given the extra screen space and processing power.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
Its entirely up to the developer; I for one would hope that if a developer has spent significant time updating their app to take advantage of iPad features, that they won't just give the update away. The race to the bottom in iPhone pricing has already devalued apps.

I encourage iPad developers to charge a reasonable price for their apps (I would hope the average price is closer to the $10 mark).

Of course, Apple could make this a lot easier for developers by allowing developers to offer upgrade pricing.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
:mad::mad: if that's the case then no way I'm buying an iPad. I was sold on it. But I got a touch 3 weeks ago and spent about $80 worth on apps already. When I heard about the iPad I was going to return the touch and use that money on the iPad.

I'm not going to repurchase all those apps, screw that.

You will not have to re-purchase apps you've already bought. They will not go away and they can be loaded onto your iPad as-is.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Developers that work hard and enhance their apps to take advantage of the iPad deserve to be compensated for their efforts. All this talk about "free" stuff makes me wonder how good developers are supposed to make a living... :confused:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
:mad::mad: if that's the case then no way I'm buying an iPad. I was sold on it. But I got a touch 3 weeks ago and spent about $80 worth on apps already. When I heard about the iPad I was going to return the touch and use that money on the iPad.

I'm not going to repurchase all those apps, screw that.
All the apps you bought will work on the iPad ;)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Your iPod/iPhone apps will work on the iPad, with a few exceptions, according to Apple. No need to re-buy.

However, if a developer re-writes his (or her) whole app to take advantage of new iPad features and screen space, I have no problem paying for new versions.

First, the developer has to eat, too.

Secondly, how dare you think you're owed the app for free just because you bought something from Apple. Do you expect HD cable for free just because you bought a TV from Samsung?

Thirdly, the developer can charge whatever he wants. It's called capitalism. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Lastly, the most expensive iPhone app I ever bought was $9.99. After spending $600 on an iPad, is another $10 going to break the bank? If it does, then you probably should reconsider spending the hundreds of dollars in the first place.

The sense of entitlement some people have these days is amazing.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Hopefully the iPad will have a whole new range of apps that take advantage of it's extra size and not just slightly updated iPhone apps. On that basis, then they should be charged for. On a slightly related note, I hope the iPad puts an end to the "race to the bottom" that led to people thinking all apps should be $0.99 and complaining at $2.00 apps for being "too expensive".
I'd like to see a wide range of well produced, full featured apps that people are happy to pay more for (such as iWork).
If the iPad has a long term future as "more than a big iPod touch", then it will be the apps that help it truly deliver its potential and that doesn't mean 20,000 full screen fart apps!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Hopefully the iPad will have a whole new range of apps that take advantage of it's extra size and not just slightly updated iPhone apps. On that basis, then they should be charged for. On a slightly related note, I hope the iPad puts an end to the "race to the bottom" that led to people thinking all apps should be $0.99 and complaining at $2.00 apps for being "too expensive".
I'd like to see a wide range of well produced, full featured apps that people are happy to pay more for (such as iWork).
If the iPad has a long term future as "more than a big iPod touch", then it will be the apps that help it truly deliver its potential and that doesn't mean 20,000 full screen fart apps!

I think we will see these higher quality apps eventually, although by their nature it might take a while for them to appear en masse. Apple has set a good example with iWork, it seems.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I think we will see these higher quality apps eventually, although by their nature it might take a while for them to appear en masse. Apple has set a good example with iWork, it seems.

They certainly have. At the moment, I'm holding off buying an iPad until I see what apps become available. Much as I would like one, there isn't a compelling reason to buy one for me yet (and in the current climate, I can't spend money as freely as I used to be able to!).

If it becomes the centre of a new ecosystem with a decent range of top quality apps then I'll get one in a heartbeat. If it becomes a 9.7" fart machine then I don't think I'll bother!

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
In light of some recent comments by people who are actually informed about the situation can we put this silly meme to bed?

Smule (tpain app, ocarnia, etc) CEO Jeff Smith interview with All things D:
money quote here (2:45 into the interview):

interview here: http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20100305/an-apple-app-star-explains-why-he-wont-work-with-android/

Any developer that takes the iPad launch as a chance to gouge customers who have already purchased their iPhone apps will be cutting their own throat in the marketplace.

It depends on the app. Development time is only one of the costs.

As a developer, one of my biggest expenses is artwork. It costs $500 or more for a good piece of high resolution art. (I'm not talking about "pull my finger" applications or DIY clip art.)

If you're doing a game that has 75 pieces of iPhone sized art that all need to be redrawn at 1024x768 (or higher due to scrolling) that's a lot of money out of pocket to support a new iPad high-resolution version.

Maybe some big companies can make that up in "scale", but most small developers are going to have to cover costs somehow. So I expect many graphic intense applications will end up charging something for an iPad version.

Some small single screen utility apps, or text-based apps will get away with a quick "face-lift" in Interface Builder. You'll probably see a lot of these as universal iPhone/iPod/iPad apps.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
DVD's work on BD players, so just because he upgrades the hardware, should we have to repurchase the software?

You can take a DVD you have bought and put it in a BD player without paying any more money. The BD Player will play it but it is still a DVD and will play at DVD resolution with DVD features. BD players will upscale the video to HD resolution but underneath it's still DVD resolution.

You can take an iPhone app you have bought and put it on the iPad without paying any more money. The iPad will run it just fine but it is still an iPhone app and will work at iPhone resolution with iPhone features. The iPad will upscale the screens to iPad resolution but underneath it's still iPhone resolution.

See a similarity there?
On this basis, why shouldn't you pay for iPad enhanced software that you already have in iPhone format? It's no different to buying a movie that you already have on DVD again on BluRay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.