Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspyred

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
How much do you think Apple will give you for an iPhone 12/Pro/Max? Would you do it?

I'm considering it if TouchID makes a comeback, given that masks don't seem to be going away anytime soon (and I don't want to wear an Apple Watch).

Selling using Craigslist and the like is such a pain. Sometimes I feel it's easier just taking the loss and giving it to Apple directly. Would you do it? Thoughts?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I understand that I get less from Apple but I like the convenience. I have the 12 and am pretty sure I will be keeping it for another year - even though I am in the 1Up program. My wife has an 11 and will upgrading her's to a 13.

Reactions: LFC2020

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I understand that I get less from Apple but I like the convenience. I have the 12 and am pretty sure I will be keeping it for another year - even though I am in the 1Up program. My wife has an 11 and will upgrading her's to a 13.
I gave up on selling to individuals because of guilt. I know its all on the buyer but I just dont feel good about selling a 3yr old phone with 80% battery health for a hundred bucks more than Apple Trade-in.

Anyway, Apple trade in prices aren’t that bad right now. iPhone 11 $390 and XS Max $330.

Reactions: shr631

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I gave up on selling to individuals because of guilt. I know its all on the buyer but I just dont feel good about selling a 3yr old phone with 80% battery health for a hundred bucks more than Apple Trade-in.

Anyway, Apple trade in prices aren’t that bad right now. iPhone 11 $390 and XS Max $330.
Nothing to feel guilty about, just be honest on what shape the phone and battery health is in, sell it for what It’s worth.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011

Just 2-3 months ago the trade-in price for an iphone 11 at Apple was $480. Wonder if the current trade-in of $390 will change when the 13‘s are announced next week.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Seem to be having issues selling my 12 Pro max after the battery health went to 86% in less than a year. May just have to trade it in. Thanks Apple.

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2021
I will do Apple trade 12P to 13 P. Not that long ago after having used vendors to see my existing iPhone and Apple Watches, i got burned when an 'established' vendor took my Apple Watch and went bankrupt. I never saw the watch again.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Anyone have any tips on how to get most bang for my buck? I have an iPhone 11 that I want to get for a 13/Pro this year, but $400 trade-in doesnt seem like much. Don’t they usually have some pretty good trade in deals when the iPhones are revealed? I’m on Verizon.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Don’t they usually have some pretty good trade in deals when the iPhones are revealed? I’m on Verizon.
If by "they" you mean Apple, if anything your 11 will go down in trade-in value once the 13 is announced. I've never heard of "pretty good trade in deals" or deals of any kind with respect to trade-in. I'd suggest selling it to a private party to bet the most for it.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
But, if like me your 12th payment will be after orders go live for the 13 … so have to miss the party for the first week.
My mistake, looks like you can upgrade before your 12th payment, but have to make that last payment at the time of upgrade.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Everyone who got a Pro Max at launch last year is in the same boat. You'll just have to include the 12th payment along with the taxes and such at pre-order time.
I got the 12 Pro last year, which came out a bit before the Max so at least I'm one payment ahead.

The only thing I'm a little unclear on, due to last year's timing with respect to this year's release, can we start the Upgrade Now process shortly before 13's can be ordered to get pre-approved, or do I have to wait until orders go live in order to start the Upgrade Now process. I think I have to wait until orders go live, since IIRC the upgrade process takes you to what's available to order at that time, which won't be a 13 if I do it before orders go live.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
If by "they" you mean Apple, if anything your 11 will go down in trade-in value once the 13 is announced. I've never heard of "pretty good trade in deals" or deals of any kind with respect to trade-in. I'd suggest selling it to a private party to bet the most for it.
I mean Verizon themselves. Whenever a new iPhone is revealed they usually do about $700-800 or so for a good condition iPhone that isn’t ancient. I’ve seen people set it up as a new line to get the good deal and transfer their number to that line instead. I may have even done it before but I can’t remember.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
I got the 12 Pro last year, which came out a bit before the Max so at least I'm one payment ahead.

The only thing I'm a little unclear on, due to last year's timing with respect to this year's release, can we start the Upgrade Now process shortly before 13's can be ordered to get pre-approved, or do I have to wait until orders go live in order to start the Upgrade Now process. I think I have to wait until orders go live, since IIRC the upgrade process takes you to what's available to order at that time, which won't be a 13 if I do it before orders go live.
Typically the "get set up for your upgrade" thing goes live shortly after the event finishes.

Reactions: Cmd-Z
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.