Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy the new Mac Pro it's full closed with SoC - Not modular ?

• Total voters

Lyndon92

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
As far as we know, Apple is now in a full-soldered components with M1 Macs, it's SoC.
It means zero possibility to upgrade, not modular for a single word.

The Mac Pro has always been famous for its power and its possibility to upgrade yourself components, inside.

Now, Apple will probably create a new Pro with M1 SoC , meaning no possibility to upgrade it at all.

Will you buy it ? :)

patrick.a

macrumors regular
May 22, 2020
I'm pretty sure they'll stick with the concept of Mac Pro and offer some kind of upgradeability. Otherwise the name wouldn't really make sense and they'd call it Studio Pro.

Last edited:

ssj92

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2022
East Bay, CA
It will probably still have pcie slots (hopefully). CPU, GPU, RAM all soldered most likely.

Might be good time to look into used Intel Mac Pro once new ones are out. :)

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
I don't think so. I passed on 2013 when they released the mighty trash can as well. Really glad that I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Mactrunk

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
I'm wondering about the clamped closed Studio... How do we get rid of the accumulated dust?
I would much prefer a Mac Pro that I could open and at least have a few things that I could upgrade.
I'm way overdue, but will wait to see what happens.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
1649868579296.png

Z6.

Remember when HP used the trashcan as a major marketing point for the Z series, by just stating the product details of the 2013 Mac Pro.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'm wondering about the clamped closed Studio... How do we get rid of the accumulated dust?
Looking at the teardown videos, stripping down and re-assembling the Studio is fairly straightforward (just treat the power supply board with respect) - it's just that there's nothing you can really change CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD-wise while you're in there. SSD upgrades/replacements with genuine Apple parts would be physically possible if Apple changed their policy.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Yeah for a truly "Pro" machine, it is absolutely and unequivocally unacceptable for it to be non-modular.

You can still have most core components soldered on, but all the elements that provide real horsepower to such a machine should be additionally upgradable...and not just at the point of sale but at any point later during its ownership.

MoonCakeTropics

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2022
I was not sure how to answer. For a while I will continue to use my Mac Pro because it is still a great machine. But if they do not make a Mac Pro with slots, I will start looking at my options to leave Apple.

Reactions: prefuse07

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think we perhaps need to clarify what people mean by "modular"?

Are we talking upgradable CPU/GPU/RAM? Or just having PCIe slots to add additional I/O or compute cards?

I suspect the former ain't going to happen, but the latter is a certainty.

fde101

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2017
All they need to do is put the SoC on a card that can be swapped out to replace it and thus perform processor upgrades. If the SoC allows it, they could have more than one slot for such cards, just like many systems now have multiple CPU sockets.

There is practically no chance they could offer external memory separately from the processor and have it perform at anywhere near the speeds that the memory can reach while inside the chip - plus the type of memory that would allow for use by both the CPU and GPU with the level of efficiency that they are reaching would be quite expensive as an external card to begin with - so if they do offer the option to add memory outside the chips, I would expect it to be additional to memory on the chips themselves and to be used either NUMA style or (perhaps even more likely) as an earlier stage of swap space before going out to the even slower disks.

I see no issue with storage being made modular while still using the SoC, nor with including a few PCIe slots in such a design.

While the CPU, GPU and memory (at least the "fast" memory) will almost certainly be tied together, they could be "upgraded" together as a unit by making the SoC swappable, and everything else could still be "modular".

My guess for the new Mac Pro would probably be something along those lines.

Mactrunk

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Sorry to reiterate.. I blow the dust out of my old MacPro every six months or so. A lot of dust... maybe it's just me.

The Mac Studio doesn't offer user access for that purpose.
Yes I can tear it down and break the warrantee, but I'm not inclined to do that.

New MacPro should have easy access to the innards.
I want to open it and at least be able to access some upgradable components.
Pci slots... SSD slots...
SOC swappable...

Probably not, but at least let me open the darn thing.

Reactions: Lyndon92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.