Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Based on what little information we have, would you use LaunchPad over the current Applications stack that a lot of us use? I know most of us use Spotlight (or Quicksilver, etc.) for the majority of our app launching, but what would you prefer to use if you had to? Assuming LaunchPad doesn't show Aliases, Java (.jar) files, and a few other things that a stack would show.

I would use LaunchPad. How about you?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I'll continue to use Spotlight. It's faster than using a mouse for any of the other options.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I have a folder application stack full of all my application aliases that I'll continue to use as there are no nested folders in the current launchpad system of navigation as far as I can tell (it's kind of like the original stacks where you couldn't navigate to a folder inside a folder). Although launchpad looks nice, the lack of nested folder access is a dealbreaker for me.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
I use Spotlight for everything that isn't in my Dock. And my Dock isn't that big.

But this is really an improvement for less proficient in computing than me. It is a nice thing from iOS to port over in my opinion.

GreatDanton

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
Like many above, I use spotlight.

LauchPad seems great though, At the end of the day its just like using an application stack, set to grid .... and then the additional ability to organise them as you wish.

For example I have more than 10 different video converters on my mac, on the odd occasion when I don't know which one I want. I would use LauchPad to view all my converters in my 'video converters' category. It's just another option to accommodate a given scenario, can't be a bad thing rite?

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I'll obviously have to see the final product before I decide, but I see myself sticking with my apps stack. I have already organized it into folders and it works well. I have my everyday apps on my dock. I have a "recently used" apps stack that works well if I'm using an app frequently for a project. I use Spotlight only if I can't find something, usually, but it works well, so I really have no reason for not using it more often. I don't see how Launchpad adds anything to OS X, but as long as it doesn't get in my way if I don't want to use it, I don't care if it's there.

Weepul

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
It does look like an enhanced stack. It has enough feature overlap with a grid stack and with the Applications folder itself that I don't really find it to be a very big deal. It might as well have itself been a new stack mode or an update of the grid mode.

Anyone remember the Launcher? Remember At Ease? Yeah, those were about the coolest things when I was a kid (well, the Launcher, anyway - At Ease was very quickly discarded as not useful enough). :eek:

Maybe such a thing has its place in a system for everyone. Then again, Apple has made its comeback following a philosophy favoring relative elegance through reduction, as opposed to offering broad spanning options for different peoples' preferences through inclusion. Putting this in as a fourth or fifth interface by which to launch programs seems atypical.

I prefer using the keyboard, but oddly dislike Spotlight, so I use a combination of the Dock (when I'm mousing) and ⌘-Tab to Finder > ⌘⇧A > type the first few letters of the app I want > ⌘⌥↓, all in less time that it would take to click on an icon in the Dock and then find and click an icon in a grid.

I'd like to close with this:
not Apple's web site said:
Applications. A home for your apps.

The Applications folder gives you instant access to your apps — Finder style. Just double-click the Applications icon in your Macintosh HD, or press ⌘⇧A. A new window will appear exactly where you left it, containing all the apps on your Mac. It takes just a scroll to view all your apps, and you can arrange apps any way you like by dragging an app icon to a new location or by grouping apps in folders. Installed a new app? Your new app automatically appears in the Applications folder, ready to blast off.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
the current Applications stack that most, if not all of us use.

Dude, just because that's what you and your friends use does NOT mean it is what the vast majority of people use. In fact, I don't know a single person who uses the application stack. Don't go extrapolating from your own very limited experience and apply that to the entire population. I'm sure that many people do use the the application stack, but don't go assuming and speaking for what the majority of people do.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Dude, just because that's what you and your friends use does NOT mean it is what the vast majority of people use. In fact, I don't know a single person who uses the application stack. Don't go extrapolating from your own very limited experience and apply that to the entire population. I'm sure that many people do use the the application stack, but don't go assuming and speaking for what the majority of people do.

Most people have it there. They may not use it all the time, but I doubt everybody that doesn't use it all the time actually removed the stack from your Dock. I also use Spotlight 9/10 times, even if the app is in the Dock. I guess you just wasn't clear.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Does the LaunchPad look kind of goofy to anyone else? It doesn't seem to have that OS X magic... I don't know, I'm on the fence about it. I'll stick with Spotlight for now...

votshtoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
Bear in mind the App Store

On iOS the tendency for users is to download lots of apps, and it's all because of the App Store. I reckon with the Mac App Store, the number of apps installed on the average Mac could explode far beyond what the Dock or even a Stack-as-launcher could reasonably handle. At a certain point, even Spotlight might get too difficult as you try to recall WTH you've been downloading the past couple of months.

I think this kind of situation is what Apple is planning/hoping for when they include LaunchPad. It's pointless now, but if there comes a day we've all got 500+ installed apps, it just might end up being essential.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I use a mix of QuickSilver and Spotlight. I see no reason to change.

Spotlight here and I see no reason to change either.

As for changing your avatar, I see no reason why you should have. Bring back the classic one!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll continue to use the application folder and dock to start my apps. The launchpad does nothing for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.