Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
So I have a CMP running a win10 drive. Audio for both OSes running through a cheap bluetooth speaker, BUT it also had a line input so I used that. Well, in fairly short order (like 12-18 months) the battery died to the point where I had to keep it plugged in all the time. Very possibility that kinda burned it out so I can't get it to turn on and the red light indicating charging power flashes every few seconds. No workee no more. So I think "use the crappy internal speaker until you get something else." I could swear at some point, this worked. Try as I might, I could NOT get any audio out of the internal speaker. My sounds device choices in win10 were LogicTech USB (headphones I use for Discord), RealTek/Speakers and RealTek line out (which I was using with an audio cable from my CMP to the speaker). So I chose the "speakers" one but NO audio from the built in speaker. I DID get audio via my USB headset. Back on my Mac side I verified that internal speaker works just fine.

As it may take awhile to find what I want for speakers, I DO want to use the internal speaker on my win10 side in the meantime, but what am I doing wrong for it to not work? YIKES!

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Oh, I shoulda added some more context. My USB wired headphones work just fine. My bluetooth headphones also work just fine. It's only the internal CMP speaker that refuses to pass any sound.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
We need a bit more info, like what computer are you using? Bootcamp or virtual machine? If Virtual Machine, VMWare or parallels?

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
"So I have a CMP running a win10 drive." Yes with bootcamp bits & pieces (note I said RealTek drivers which are part of bootcamp).

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You still didn't say which Mac, and the more info the better, even if you think it's obvious.

Comparing it to my 2020 Intel iMac, there's a couple of things I'd suggest to look for.

First, in the Windows Device Manager, under "Sound...", there should be a device called "Apple Audio Device", make sure it's there and doesn't have an exclamation point over it. The driver is "AppleAudio.sys"

And in the sound settings there should be one that just says "Speakers" And it says "Apple Audio Device". That's the one you should pick.

I suspect it's something wrong in device manager. Try selecting that device and rmb click "Update driver". If it's not there at all, I think you have to reinstall the bootcamp driver package.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Not familiar with a cMP (plus it's listed in my sig)? Hmmm, no such things as you mention. What my win10 does show is "RealTek." I am not sure exactly where that came from... maybe installing the nVidia graphics drivers? I'll have to dig more into it, but I had to not only install the bootcamp drivers from Apple, but I had to use a third party tool to get some updated drivers (all I remember is that it was supposedly only for the iMac) from Apple servers that they don't allow for my HighSierra build.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Not familiar with a cMP
Never heard of it by that abbreviation, a Mac Pro maybe, but what's the c, and 5,1 doesn't mean anything to me, sorry. I've only been using Mac's since the first intel mini. I googled Mac 5,1 and that got me the answer. Cool machine too. :) I do know the Windows side better as that's what I use the most, that's why I was trying to help.

Hmmm, no such things as you mention.
That's probably because I'm using an iMac now that I think about it, but a Mac Pro, being Apple hardware should still have something like that. REALTEK makes a LOT of the network adapter chipsets, but they do make kind of a generic sound adapter too.

Did you try installing the drivers from this site?

There was a thread in the Mac Pro forum that this fixed the sound problem.

Reactions: paulcons

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Sorry, just assumed everyone know what a Classic Mac Pro (think it covers 2009 to 2012) was typically abbreviated as cMP. I DO appreciate your taking the time to respond.

The macrumors thread is about no audio getting out... that is not the case for me, I get sound via line out, bluetooth AND a USB headset, the only minor issue is the internal speaker. I notice that the driverscape's audio drivers come from RealTek. Most helpful in getting my win10 drive working comes from crystalidea.com:

Despite there is one choice that SEEMS to feature built in speakers, it doesn't work with the internal speaker. Honestly I was just curious if there was a simple solution, it works very good right now except for this one thing, and I'm not going to try messing with it!

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Sorry, just assumed everyone know what a Classic Mac Pro (think it covers 2009 to 2012) was typically abbreviated as cMP. I DO appreciate your taking the time to respond.

The macrumors thread is about no audio getting out... that is not the case for me, I get sound via line out, bluetooth AND a USB headset, the only minor issue is the internal speaker. I notice that the driverscape's audio drivers come from RealTek. Most helpful in getting my win10 drive working comes from crystalidea.com:

Despite there is one choice that SEEMS to feature built in speakers, it doesn't work with the internal speaker. Honestly I was just curious if there was a simple solution, it works very good right now except for this one thing, and I'm not going to try messing with it!
You might try asking in the Mac Pro forum...

I understand what you mean though, "don't touch it, you'll break it, is one of my mottos unless I have a lot of time to fix what I break. :)

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
You might check to see if your bluetooth is activated to the speaker itself. I noticed a few times after a major update, the connection dissappears, and I would have to go back to the settings and search for the speaker and reconnect all over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.