Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
HeyHey!
I have some AAC files I encoded with winamp. As you have probably guessed, iTunes dosent like them. Is there any software I can use to convert them to mp3 so that iTunes will play them?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
DanTekGeek said:
HeyHey!
I have some AAC files I encoded with winamp. As you have probably guessed, iTunes dosent like them. Is there any software I can use to convert them to mp3 so that iTunes will play them?
Those files have an .aac extension, don't they? Those are MPEG-2 AAC, not the MPEG-4 AAC iTunes supports. Anyway, Winamp can do this for you - or at least assist in the process (assuming you still have access to it, that is). Just convert the .aac files to WAV using the Nullsoft Disk Writer output plugin, then load the WAV files into iTunes and make MP3s (or MPEG-4 AAC or Apple Lossless or whatever) from them using the Convert To function.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
wrldwzrd89 said:
Those files have an .aac extension, don't they? Those are MPEG-2 AAC, not the MPEG-4 AAC iTunes supports.
But first, change the file extension to .m4a. It can't hurt to check, and this trivial detail does stop iTunes playing compatible files.

Next time you rip something, perhaps try using dbpoweramp (google it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.