Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
You can put Virtual PC on it, but this is just an emulation of Windows. If you actually want to boot your machine up using Redmond's finest and run XP as your primary OS, then I'm afraid that's not something you can do on your G5. You need Boot Camp for that, and that's Intel Mac only unfortunately.

L A R E !

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
what r the different ways you can run windows? can you please explain.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Microsoft's VPC Q&A page should give you a few pointers about how it works.

Basically, as it says on the page;

Virtual PC is an emulation program that creates a separate Windows environment on the Mac desktop. Through some sophisticated software trickery, Virtual PC creates a "virtual machine" that runs right on your Mac. This virtual machine is much like a real computer — you can install an operating system on it, such as Windows XP, and you can install programs, such as Microsoft Access or Visio — all it lacks is actual hardware.

The virtual machine appears in its own window on your Mac and you can switch easily between programs on your virtual machine and programs on your Mac.

I'll freely admit to not using any of the more recent versions of VPC so I'm not saying this with first hand experience, but please be aware that as it's an emulation of the OS (your G5 will still be running OS X) you're not exactly going to get speedy performance. For one thing, if you were looking to run games on there you'll probably end up more than a little disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.