Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Edit: I have renamed the thread to reflect more directly the issue, after a few steps of troubleshooting.

Hi!
I have this configuration:

LG 27UL850
  • USB-C - MacBook Pro 16
  • DP - HP Zbook 15u
The MacBook is being used in clamshell mode with resolution set to 2560x1440.
Display Settings

So lets imagine I am using my macbook I have my windows spread around with certain sizes.
Now I switch inputs on the monitor to my HP laptop, do some stuff there etc...
Then I switch back to my MacBook, my windows moved place and were resized to the bottom lower side of the screen.
It's as if when I switch inputs the laptop changes the resolution to something smaller which resizes my windows and when I switch back it does not revert the windows to their original sizes.

Anyone seeing this behavior? Or has similar configuration and does not have any issue?
Cheers!

Adding a before and after switching inputs example:
Before
After

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
This is the second time in a week or so I've seen a post about having a monitor connected to two different computers at the same time using different ports on the monitor. What does LG say about supporting this other than nothing in the manual?

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
What does LG say about supporting this other than nothing in the manual?

I just did a test.
Disconnected the second laptop from the screen.
So just one laptop, one monitor.
I let the laptop go into sleep by itself after 10 minutes, monitor enters power down mode. Move mouse/keyboard everything comes back up correctly.
Then I just pressed the off button on the monitor, waited 5 seconds and pressed back on, all windows are messed up again.
So, not related to having two laptops connected.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I just did a test.
Disconnected the second laptop from the screen.
So just one laptop, one monitor.
I let the laptop go into sleep by itself after 10 minutes, monitor enters power down mode. Move mouse/keyboard everything comes back up correctly.
Then I just pressed the off button on the monitor, waited 5 seconds and pressed back on, all windows are messed up again.
So, not related to having two laptops connected.

Now you're troubleshooting! To clarify, which laptop and what cable were you testing there…MBP and USB-C?

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Now you're troubleshooting! To clarify, which laptop and what cable were you testing there…MBP and USB-C?

MBP and USB-C, yes.
Did another test, if I manually sleep the laptop but do NOTHING to the monitor (it still goes into it's monitor low power mode) and then wake up the laptop with external keyboard the windows behave correctly.

It's almost as if when I turn the monitor off, the laptop goes into a state where it sets a different resolution (lower one) (on the laptop screen, although I have it in clamshell mode).

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
For USB-C the manual states: "Features may not work properly depending on the connected device's specifications and the environment". That's not much help but it sounds like a catch-all.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
For USB-C the manual states: "Features may not work properly depending on the connected device's specifications and the environment". That's not much help but it sounds like a catch-all.

Wait, are you saying the problem is with the monitor? That somehow it reshuffles the window sizing and position?

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
The only way to know is to connect a different monitor via USB-C and test.

I have now done a few more tests.
So, no issue with ZBook USB-C ->Monitor in "clamshell" mode.

I then thought of doing another test.

1st Test
  1. MacBook screen USB-C -> Monitor
  2. Macbook screen open, set to duplicate displays, optimized for LG 4K so I have same images in both screens and since resolution is optimized for LG if I look at the Mac screen everything is tiny.
  3. Turn off LG monitor, windows rearrange in "original best for Macbook resolution".
  4. Turn on LG monitor, windows reappear as they were before the screen being turned off.
  5. So correct behavior.
2nd Test
  1. Same as before but with one difference, clamshell mode, laptop screen closed.
  2. Turn off LG monitor
  3. Turn on LG monitor
  4. Windows positions/sizes are messed up

From all these tests I believe this is a macOS Catalina(?) issue.
Specially with the difference in results when testing with laptop screen open (mirror) and laptop screen closed (clamshell) causing different results.

Any opinions, or ideas?

Last edited:

Cobra Blade

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Australia
I'd go with OS related. Using Big Sur here on a Mac mini and if my monitor goes to sleep, and I have to wake it my windows are all resized to and this is via HDMI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.