Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris_oldman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
MacBook Pro mid 2012 is failing to boot 3/4 of bar is loaded then spinning wheel appears and its never ending.
In verba mode its stuck on Window server died pid 388,442,444 etc
What should i do
Fresh macOS Catalina install
It worked on mountain lion

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Tell us some more about what you have...
Which 2012 MBPro? The older one with Optical drive (CD/DVD), or the later Retina model (no DVD drive)
If the optical drive, does it still have the original hard drive?
An original hard drive (spinning disk) would have a tough time with Catalina, and could simply be a dying hard drive (more than 10 years old.)
If you have a retina MBPro, which would have an SSD, it's still more than 10 years old.
A spinning-disk hard drive is fairly easy to replace, and you can upgrade to an SSD, then do your Catalina install to a much faster drive.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Checked the serial number that you posted. Your 2012 MBPro is a 15-inch, non-retina model, which would have shipped with a 500GB hard drive.
I also see in your other post that you have a problem with the graphics chip.
Not an easy fix when the hard drive is giving you problems.
Again, the hard drive is easy to replace with an SATA SSD.
I don't know if that will help you in your quest to bypass the main graphics chip to use the shared graphics, but swapping to an SSD will give that a better chance, I think.

chris_oldman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Someone on re
Checked the serial number that you posted. Your 2012 MBPro is a 15-inch, non-retina model, which would have shipped with a 500GB hard drive.
I also see in your other post that you have a problem with the graphics chip.
Not an easy fix when the hard drive is giving you problems.
Again, the hard drive is easy to replace with an SATA SSD.
I don't know if that will help you in your quest to bypass the main graphics chip to use the shared graphics, but swapping to an SSD will give that a better chance, I think.
Someone on reddit told me i can install big sur through open core legacy patcher and it should disable gpu. Installation was clean (faster, smoother) than catalina. But it never completed installation. It reboots after Progress bar complete to load.
fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00
Command didnt help and now single user mode is read only cause it never completed installation.

MacBook Pro mid 2012 15” with DVD drive geforce graphics that died (i think its dead cause when i disabled it in mountain lion it booted and worked on this macOS, Before gpu fix it couldnt even boot to the recovery mode)
Maybe i cant see where can i disable graphics card in opencore legacy patcher. Installer of big sur was made through Mac mini m2. It shows some nvidia things but its locked when i Choose 9.1 MacBook Pro Settings.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Have you upgraded the hard drive to an SSD?

You do need to "guide" the Big Sur OCLP install, so it has a chance of completing: watch the install, make sure be there for restarts. there will be 3 or 4 during the install. Make sure that you quickly press the Option key during the restart, so you can make sure that the EFI boot is selected first (press enter), then making sure that the correct install is then selected. (On each restart, the Option-boot choices will usually be slightly different. The important choice is the first one, for the EFI partition, the one that will follow after that is usually correctly setup by the installer - but, in my experience, the installer often will skip over the EFI boot, resulting in an installer fail. You can fix by making sure to manually choose the EFI on each reboot during the install) I have a couple of 2012 minis, that I keep updated with OCLP installs. If I miss one of the restarts, and simply allow the install to do whatever it pre-selects, the install almost always fails.

chris_oldman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Yeah i have ssd Disk installed. Its just a project to repair this machine i dont know how to do that kind of stuff but its fun to do.

Ive installed high sierra clean install and disabled broken nvidia gpu and that let me into system so it can be usable but its working slow. I think i will need to diagnose somehow whats the issue on Logicboard and maybe change chip or smth. For now its working dunno if i can get more fluent work on Intel graphics but for now its still some kind of a win situation :)

chris_oldman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
I think it worked better when I only did
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00
In single user mode. After installing MacBook Pro dgpu disabler app from dosdude it much worse experience. Maybe the panic crash can be resolved by installing some nvidia drivers or smth?

chris_oldman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Now I lost connection to display it’s booting I can go to single user mode and type reboot and it’s rebooting but I can’t see anything on display it might be dead now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.