Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
0ne of the games I am ensured with (Ark Survival Evolved) recently released a patch which included Direct X 12 compatibility, which has been advertised to increase frames by up to 20%. FYI, you need to have a card that is DX12 capable. My GeForce GTX 760 is reported to be compatible. I upgraded to Windows 10, which feels pretty good (free upgrade), after I turned off the live tiles. I to the Nvidia site and downloaded that latest driver for it and launched the game.

Up front, I noticed no significant glaring improvement in graphics quality or frames, but experimenting, I was able to increase many of my game settings to high without an undo hit to FPS. The problem is that I did not do comprehensive testing and document setting vs frames prior to the switch to DX12. However, it seems that I have been able to bump up graphic settings a bit.

Mind you, this is on my PC (sig) not my Mac running Bootcamp and Windows 7. I briefly entertained the idea of upgrading to Windows 10 on my 2011 MBP but alas, Apple does not support this hardware and W10 although apparently based on online reports, W10 can be installed on it. Has anyone have first hand knowledge of successfully do I gbthiscwith an older Mac successfully?

However, my MBPs video card is not DX12 capable, so I see no advantage of this upgrade unless it is a leaner more efficient OS with a smaller footprint, of which I am not sure about. Of note, I have a GTX 970 on order and looking forward to installing that. I will report back.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
There are other performance performance improvements besides DirectX 12 in Windows 10, but they are pretty minor. The best speed bump you'll probably see is OS load times, especially coming from 7, and that's an important thing with something like Bootcamp where you have to restart.

Your 970 supports more DX12 features than your 760, so you may see a better performance improvement with it.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
From what I've read, there isn't any such thing as a GPU designed specifically for DX12, since the features are more centered on how the drivers talk to the card, more than new shaders and the like that have to be supported at the hardware level.

Basically, if it supports DX11 fully, then it supports DX12 fully.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
From what I've read, there isn't any such thing as a GPU designed specifically for DX12, since the features are more centered on how the drivers talk to the card, more than new shaders and the like that have to be supported at the hardware level.

Basically, if it supports DX11 fully, then it supports DX12 fully.

This is not true. There are some features that require or use hardware support. There was actually a mini-controversy recently related to a feature called async_compute on nVidia cards; apparently it's implemented only in software on them, so AMD cards are seeing a much bigger performance increase with DX12 for things that support the feature.

Renzatic

Suspended
This is not true. There are some features that require or use hardware support. There was actually a mini-controversy recently related to a feature called async_compute on nVidia cards; apparently it's implemented only in software on them, so AMD cards are seeing a much bigger performance increase with DX12 for things that support the feature.

Well hell. I stand corrected.

djofonunez

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
San Salvador, El Salvador
Ark Survival Evolved had the intention of updating to DX 12 yet it couldn't due to some bugs so the performance improvement is not available.

This is what the developers said:

"It runs, it looks good, but unfortunately we came across some driver issues that we can't entirely tackle ourselves :(. We’ve reached out to both NVIDIA and AMD and will be working with them to get it resolved as soon as possible! Once that’s tackled, we’ll be needing to do more solid testing across a range of hardware with the new fixes. It's disappointing to us too and we're sorry for the delay, but we wouldn't want to release ARK DX12 without the care it still needs at this point. Hang in there, and when it's ready for public consumption, it should be worth the wait!"

URL: https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3l4ii2/state_of_the_game_new_game_moderator_reporting_dx/?

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Huntn

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I've got Windows 10 and a GTX 970, but as far as I know none of the games I play use DX12 in any shape. Probably won't until next year, but we'll see.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ark Survival Evolved had the intention of updating to DX 12 yet it couldn't due to some bugs so the performance improvement is not available.

This is what the developers said:

"It runs, it looks good, but unfortunately we came across some driver issues that we can't entirely tackle ourselves :(. We’ve reached out to both NVIDIA and AMD and will be working with them to get it resolved as soon as possible! Once that’s tackled, we’ll be needing to do more solid testing across a range of hardware with the new fixes. It's disappointing to us too and we're sorry for the delay, but we wouldn't want to release ARK DX12 without the care it still needs at this point. Hang in there, and when it's ready for public consumption, it should be worth the wait!"

URL: https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3l4ii2/state_of_the_game_new_game_moderator_reporting_dx/?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! A recently updated Microsoft graphic tool is incompatible with a game trying to use it? How frick'n hard is it for a graphic card manufacturer who are making DX12 compatible cards, an OS designed for it, and not have workable drivers?

1189.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.