Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polaxgr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hi all. Installed Win10 on my Mac Pro 6.1 and while playing a game the gpu temp goes to about 80 Celsius. I need to prevent that from happening. With app Fan Control I have no luck trying to modify the rpm’s of the fan. Any idea how to solve it? I got D700 and latest drivers installed

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi all. Installed Win10 on my Mac Pro 6.1 and while playing a game the gpu temp goes to about 80 Celsius. I need to prevent that from happening. With app Fan Control I have no luck trying to modify the rpm’s of the fan. Any idea how to solve it? I got D700 and latest drivers installed
MacsFanControl doesn't work?

Anyway, you may try AfterBurner and see if you can lower the GPU voltage and clock speed a little bit to make it run cooler.

Reactions: bmoraski

barral39

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2023
Hey Polaxgr, if you have 2 x D700 like me the best simple thing to do is :

1. Completely Disable "AMD Crossfire X" in the "AMD FirePro control center" on Windows/Bootcamp
2. Reboot
3. Game !

Windows and Games support for dual graphic cards like the D700 is extremely bad, so by disabling "AMD Crossfire X" you'll use only one D700 (6GB instead of 12GB).

But Games and Windows in general runs 10x better.
This way I can run Witcher 3 with Ultra Settings perfectly smooth.
It fixed also some graphic issues I had in Windows.

And the best news is : it runs way less hot and it's twice more silent, it reduces about half the fan noise I had before. Amazing.

Good Luck to you in the Mac Pro 6,1 Adventure ! Hope it helps !

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey Polaxgr, if you have 2 x D700 like me the best simple thing to do is :

1. Completely Disable "AMD Crossfire X" in the "AMD FirePro control center" on Windows/Bootcamp
2. Reboot
3. Game !

Windows and Games support for dual graphic cards like the D700 is extremely bad, so by disabling "AMD Crossfire X" you'll use only one D700 (6GB instead of 12GB).

But Games and Windows in general runs 10x better.
This way I can run Witcher 3 with Ultra Settings perfectly smooth.
It fixed also some graphic issues I had in Windows.

And the best news is : it runs way less hot and it's twice more silent, it reduces about half the fan noise I had before. Amazing.

Good Luck to you in the Mac Pro 6,1 Adventure ! Hope it helps !
Even with Crossfire, the VRAM pool has 12GB VRAM, but due to VRAM mirroring, the effective VRAM is still 6GB.

Reactions: vddobrev
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.