Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eggman3456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2021
Hi everyone, I'm a bit stuck trying to get windows 10 to install on my 2009 5,1 Mac Pro. I've installed Mojave that's native but its not saying "BootCamp is not supported" I've got 4TB worth of drives in and read somewhere it has to be under two, which can easily be sorted but haven't tried that yet. there's also the method of installing from a USB stick through the alt boot screen but have heard this causes a whole load of issues I don't want to deal with. anyone got any tips or can talk me through it? Just want windows 10 for games. my GPU is a Metal Supported rx560 if that helps.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Split the disc in 2 gb each and try again.

Last edited:

eggman3456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2021
would this work if i just took out my 2TB drives during install and then added them back in afterward? and does my graphics card cause any issues with bootloader or would it work as standard?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Yes you can leave inside during installation only the drive which will be the one to create the Bootcamp onto it. You can also try the Bootcamp assistant from Snow Leopard (attached here). It does not have any restrictions for a minimum OS or anything else. Follow the instructions in the post I linked earlier.

Attachments

• Boot Camp Assistant.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 51

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Avoid booting USB Windows installers and disks, avoid booting a Windows DVD in EFI mode. You can catch a certificate into your bootrom what you won't want.

To be secure make a backup before, for example with the tool in my signature.

With a bootrom backup you can flash back your bootrom in case you get a certificate.

Those certificates can disturb the regular garbage collection. And this could lead to a brick if some other circumstances come in play, too. As you have a crossflashed MP4,1 those tend to bricks more than real MP5,1.

Last edited:

eggman3456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2021
Avoid booting USB Windows installers and disks, avoid booting a Windows DVD in EFI mode. You can catch a certificate into your bootrom what you won't want.

To be secure make a backup before, for example with the tool in my signature.

With a bootrom backup you can flash back your bootrom in case you get a certificate.

Those certificates can disturb the regular garbage collecton. And this could lead to a brick if some other circumstances come in play, too. As you have a crossflashed MP4,1 those tend to bricks more than real MP5,1.
how do i know if im booting into EFI mode? sorry for the stupid questions 😂

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
1694777459168.png

The two disk images on the picture are from the same disk. The one with the EFI boot on it should not be selected at all.

Reactions: Macschrauber

eggman3456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2021
Hi Guys, im on Mojave with an rx560 4GB, I cant seem to access the bootswitcher, any suggestions on why this might be happening?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
If you want to have a boot picker without OC follow this guide:

eggman3456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2021
im trying to access it as when downloading opencore, it says i need to reboot and hold option (access the bootpicker)

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
You don't need OC with Mojave, but you need a Boot Picker, which you can install in your firmware by following the guide.

Reactions: Macschrauber
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.