Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like MS is moving the May update to the Preview ring, which is basically the step before releasing it to the public - kind of like Apple's release candidate.

Getting the May 2020 Update Ready for Release

Windows 10 May 2020 Update review: Welcome improvements to everyday essentials

This release doesn't seem to have a lot of major enhancements, other then Cortana and you don't use that, then the update may not be as impactful. I believe it will add some polish and small features which may improve your user experience but not much.

I am quasi tempted to get the preview if only because I'm stuck at home and boredom has definitely crept in.

• Haha
Reactions: SteveJUAE

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Main feature if you weren't already on an insiders build is the introduction of WSL2, which makes life as a developer, much, much better and will surely tempt a lot of Mac users over...

Reactions: c0ppo

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Main feature if you weren't already on an insiders build is the introduction of WSL2, which makes life as a developer, much, much better and will surely tempt a lot of Mac users over...
Isn't it basically the same thing we got before? It's out of preview and you don't have two install it, but otherwise? I didn't notice any differences when I tried it two weeks ago

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I installed it two days ago. Virtually no significant visible changes - Cortana has changed as reported but I'd have never known since I don't use it. A couple icons have changed. Apparently a few tweaked system settings.... all stuff I likely wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't watched a video on YouTube that went through all the differences. I can only hope there's good deeper system changes to improve stability, speed and security.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
by default it will still leave you on WSL1, unless you update all your WSL distro to use a v2 version.

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
I installed it two days ago. Virtually no significant visible changes - Cortana has changed as reported but I'd have never known since I don't use it. A couple icons have changed. Apparently a few tweaked system settings.... all stuff I likely wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't watched a video on YouTube that went through all the differences. I can only hope there's good deeper system changes to improve stability, speed and security.

I think this goes for all the bi-annual updates. If I was put on the spot and told to list 5 user facing features that have been added to Windows 10 since its launch I would not be able to do it.

Maybe Microsoft are too scared to innovate or reinvent after they got their fingers burned with Windows 8 but it's disappointing nonetheless.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Isn't it basically the same thing we got before? It's out of preview and you don't have two install it, but otherwise? I didn't notice any differences when I tried it two weeks ago
You have to manually choose to upgrade to WSL2, but it makes a huge difference to performance. Performance has gone from quite poor to virtually identical to a native Linux system. This is huge for developers looking to make the switch from Mac.

I think this goes for all the bi-annual updates. If I was put on the spot and told to list 5 user facing features that have been added to Windows 10 since its launch I would not be able to do it.

Maybe Microsoft are too scared to innovate or reinvent after they got their fingers burned with Windows 8 but it's disappointing nonetheless.
Not 100% on timing but one of the major improvements added in a Windows 10 update for me was the clipboard manager - i.e. hit win + v to view a history of everything you've copied / pasted. Super useful. Also the improved screenshot tool is fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: canesalato

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I update to the 2004 version, and things seem stable. I had Cortana disabled, so much of the advantages of this update are not being realized on my part.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
You have to manually choose to upgrade to WSL2, but it makes a huge difference to performance. Performance has gone from quite poor to virtually identical to a native Linux system. This is huge for developers looking to make the switch from Mac.
I meant WSL 2, that has been available for a while now if you chose to use the insider preview program.

accessing files inside the Linux container is still slow though. I hope they fix io performance soon. Right now you have to fiddle around with xserver etc in windows for acceptable performance

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I meant WSL 2, that has been available for a while now if you chose to use the insider preview program.

accessing files inside the Linux container is still slow though. I hope they fix io performance soon. Right now you have to fiddle around with xserver etc in windows for acceptable performance
Ah yes of course. In truth I don't do much with files that crosses the Windows / Linux boundary so it hasn't been a huge issue for me. I just use VS Code which works absolutely perfectly in my experience.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The remote server for vscode is pretty genius yes. But I’m addicted to JetBrains IDEs, used them forever now, I just can’t live without them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.