Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosswalkersam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Hello,

I've got some NVIDIA Tesla K10 GPUs laying around and I was wondering if I could throw them into my good ol' MacPro 5.1. I made a Pixlas mod around a year ago and the PSU is powerful enough to handle two cards. However, only one card works. If I put two into it, the device manager says "Error 12 - not enough ressources" and only activates two of the four GPUs. I should mention that one Tesla K10 card is equal to two GPUs, since it's basically just two GTX680s with a bit more VRAM in one card.

I asked NVIDIA customer support about that and they sent me to enterprise support. Enterprise didn't want to help me since these are ebay cards, and told be to try customer support again. They sent me to Microsoft, which told me to try the Apple support. But Apple wasn't able to help me, seemingly the 5.1 is too old to be supported. But they told be to try the forum, where also nobody was really able to help me.

I am running 32GB RAM in a single CPU system. I was wondering if maybe the CPU is unable to handle four GPUs, but I have seen people put in three GPUs into their 5.1 without any issues (here). Does anyone know why that is? Could an upgrade to a dual CPU system help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.