Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shan93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2016
Hi all!

I've recently been given my sisters Macbook Pro (mid 2010) 15" model as she's upgraded to a new Macbook Air for UNI. The macbook was in a bit of a sorry sight with no working trackpad, HDD was incredibly slow and charger didn't work. I've spent a while on it and since replaced the HDD with a 256GB Samsung SSD, replaced the trackpad with a new OEM one and bought a new charger.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, but recently I've been looking into getting Windows 10 Installed on it. So far, I haven't been able to get it to work.

What I've done so far:

1. Created a Bootable USB with bootcamp.
  2. Created a Bootable USB with RUFUS
  3. Manually created a bootcamp partition, and formatted it using DISKPart
  4. Cleared the CMOS etc...
  5. Custom bootloader...

Nothing works. I've gotten two errors so far;

• Error due to partition being MBR and not GPT (although I'm 100% sure it *IS* GPT);
  • Windows cannot update the bootloader.

So the question remains, has anyone installed Windows 10 on a Macbook Pro 2010 15" before? I've updated it to the latest version of OSX.

Thanks!

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I loaded Windows 10 on a 2011 17" a few months back. I don't remember having issues with the partition type, so I can't help you there. I do remember something about it insisting that I install from DVD simply because that model shipped with a DVD drive. The 2011's were the first models with the core-i processors - don't remember what other differences there were though.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.