Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Hello!

I am looking to install Windows 10 on an external drive to avoid taking up space on my internal Flash drive on my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013).

I know Windows cannot boot off USB (at least not without some major tinkering), so Thunderbolt is the way to go.

Can anyone who's done just that comment on how well it works and any things to look out for?
Does Bootcamp assistant allow installing to an external drive?

Also, if anyone can recommend an affordable thunderbolt 1 or 2 enclosure available in Canada (or US store that ships here), I'd be thankful.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Not sure, but Windows 10 does have the "Windows to Go" feature that'll enable you to boot Windows off a USB drive. I am actually doing this on my Mac Mini, and if you want to go the USB route, I HIGHLY recommend you get a USB 3.0 drive like I did. Do a Google search to find out how to do it; you will also need either a real Windows machine or a Windows VM of some sort to carry this out (if you don't want to buy virtualization software, then just download VirtualBox for the Mac to get it done.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.