Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi!

I'm planning on purchasing a new 13" 2017 MacBook Pro, but I still haven't decided yet if I go with 256 or 512GB of SSD. If I install Windows 10, along with macOS, it would be helpful to have room for the partition, so I'd go with the 512GB of storage. But if I don't ever install Windows 10, it would be enough for me with only 256GB.

So right now I'm thinking what would make me install Windows 10 aside from Steam Games. I don't play on Steam by the way, I have a PS3 and PS4, so other than that... What kind of needs would make someone to need installing Windows 10 on his mac, aside from gaming? Professional software?

I ask this to ensure I won't need Windows 10 in the next few years and, thus, will be happy with only macOS and 256GB.

Please, don't focus on the 256GB vs 512GB question. I'm only asking for reasons that would make me install Windows 10 and keep it on my BootCamp partition, reasons that right now don't come to my mind. Thank you.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I use it for several Apps not available for Mac, but I use VMs as I have quite a few separate operating systems, most of which I run off of external SSDs. Other than gaming purposes (which I can't speak to either way), some of the reasons I imagine for using it include, when a certain App is not available for Mac or the Mac version has lesser capability than the Windows version (ex: Outlook), to learn and maintain proficiency with the OS that is gearing up to dominate the enterprise market once support for 7 ends, to test the way a website/document/App works to see if there is any variation on a Windows version, for some Windows-specific development tasks, and for various purposes related to testing & deploying security solutions/cryptography. For my own usage, I strongly prefer a VM over dual boot because I can access multiple operating systems simultaneously, and share files locally between OS' without having to rely on cloud support, third party Apps, or a non-journaling FS.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
If you have to ask then you shouldn’t worry about it. Get 256.
I thought this, exactly. But I've been since 2010 using exclusively macOS, and I'd like to use every once in a while Windows, because it has changed a lot -I assume- since the Win7 days, and I should be able to use with ease such an extended Operating System.

I use it for several Apps not available for Mac, but I use VMs as I have quite a few separate operating systems, most of which I run off of external SSDs. Other than gaming purposes (which I can't speak to either way), some of the reasons I imagine for using it include, when a certain App is not available for Mac or the Mac version has lesser capability than the Windows version (ex: Outlook), to learn and maintain proficiency with the OS that is gearing up to dominate the enterprise market once support for 7 ends, to test the way a website/document/App works to see if there is any variation on a Windows version, for some Windows-specific development tasks, and for various purposes related to testing & deploying security solutions/cryptography. For my own usage, I strongly prefer a VM over dual boot because I can access multiple operating systems simultaneously, and share files locally between OS' without having to rely on cloud support, third party Apps, or a non-journaling FS.

Thank you so much for your help, I guess your message was written before they moved this thread to the Windows and Linux subforum (the right subforum, I have to say, but with less readers I assume), but it's more than enough and the kind of answer I was looking for.

From all your reasons for using Windows on my mac, the only one I'm concerned about is "to learn and maintain proficiency with the OS that is gearing up to dominate the enterprise market once support for 7 ends", wich is about the same I said above to Cardfan. And your VM solution is not a bad idea, provided I'm going to buy a 16GB of RAM MacBook Pro. But it is not as clean as the BootCamp solution, and may be messing with my system files on macOS. Maybe some precess mess up with my battery, and lastly, Parallels is for me the best solution but you have to pay for it each year... So for me, installing Windows on a BootCamp partition is the best solution.

[doublepost=1512338039][/doublepost]

And now, I'd like to ask one more question regarding BootCamp: Does it hurt the SSD, or make some "damage" to the file system (APFS) to install a BootCamp Partition and then, some months later, erase it and fusion the BootCamp partition with the main macOS one, and repeat this process every time I need or want to use Windows 10?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
And now, I'd like to ask one more question regarding BootCamp: Does it hurt the SSD, or make some "damage" to the file system (APFS) to install a BootCamp Partition and then, some months later, erase it and fusion the BootCamp partition with the main macOS one, and repeat this process every time I need or want to use Windows 10?

Whilst erasing and recombining your W10 partition is possible almost anytime the reverse is not true if your drive is rather full or been used a lot, then it may be necessary to do a substantial clean up of your drive before you can repartition. I do not see any real issue in "hurting" your SSD

It may be a simpler solution for your infrequent use to simply install W10 on a usb (not a USB boot installer) and run from there, it may be slower but wont consume any of your SSD and could be used on any laptop subject to passwords for wifi and linking your MS account etc

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
If you are not installing a lot of big apps or data but only want Windows 10 for occasional use, the Bootcamp partition can be small enough eg 50GB to fit on 256 GB drive.

VMs can be smaller eg 25GB and are more flexible in space usage. IE can grow and contract.

Having used Bootcamp and Parallels over the years I find Parallels a lot less hassle and much faster than many people realise. All depends on your usage.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Many, many thanks to all of you. I’ve been for five and a half years on macrumors, and honestly, the vast majority of you have always helped me and been nice to me. Well, maybe @arn the creator of this site never answered that private message I sent to him, but even in that case, thanks to him we have this wonderful community I’m proud being part of.

Now, back to the topic:

It may be a simpler solution for your infrequent use to simply install W10 on a usb (not a USB boot installer) and run from there, it may be slower but wont consume any of your SSD and could be used on any laptop subject to passwords for wifi and linking your MS account etc

Well sir, you gave me an idea; I could install on an USB C USB 3.1 gen 2 external SSD the bootcamp partition of Windows 10. But honestly, the usb-c SSD is 150€, and the upgrade of the MacBook Pro from 256 to 512GB is 200€. I think that, unless I find a cheaper external SSD, it’s worth getting the 512 upgrade and have a Windows 10 partition, just in case. Or not... because Right now I don’t need Windows.

Please forgive me, I’m a bit confused.

Last edited:

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I run Windows 10 on a VirtualBox VM on a 2013 MacBook Air (8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) and have done so for years.

It runs fine for the one application I need to run on the system (Quicken).

Not sure that hardware is your problem. My wimpy four year old notebook computer seems to be able to handle it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well sir, you gave me an idea; I could install on an USB C USB 3.1 gen 2 external SSD the bootcamp partition of Windows 10. But honestly, the usb-c SSD is 150€, and the upgrade of the MacBook Pro from 256 to 512GB is 200€. I think that, unless I find a cheaper external SSD, it’s worth getting the 512 upgrade and have a Windows 10 partition, just in case. Or not... because Right now I don’t need Windows.

Please forgive me, I’m a bit confused.
No your on the right track :)

Getting the higher capacity Apple SSD is best depending on your budget and if you can afford it now

However the external SSD or USB stick and even parallels allows you to defer your payment to when or if you need it and can be used for other things, there are a few alternatives EG:

SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ80-064G-GAM46
Samsung T1 or T3 external SSD
External case for an internal drive like Samsung SSD EVO's or even a spinner :)

Maybe you are over spec'ing a future W10 requirement especially if your thinking of high end games etc why not worry about that when or if it occurs :) else spend the extra 200€ and have an easier option later

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
No your on the right track :)

Getting the higher capacity Apple SSD is best depending on your budget and if you can afford it now

However the external SSD or USB stick and even parallels allows you to defer your payment to when or if you need it and can be used for other things, there are a few alternatives EG:

SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ80-064G-GAM46
Samsung T1 or T3 external SSD
External case for an internal drive like Samsung SSD EVO's or even a spinner :)

Maybe you are over spec'ing a future W10 requirement especially if your thinking of high end games etc why not worry about that when or if it occurs :) else spend the extra 200€ and have an easier option later

Ok. So... how is the performance of Win10 executed from a USB 3.1 or even 3.0 PenDrive?

And is it difficult to install Win10 on an external drive? With all the drivers for the trackpad and so...

Thank you very much, you are near of convincing me to buy the 256GB model xD

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Ok. So... how is the performance of Win10 executed from a USB 3.1 or even 3.0 PenDrive?

And is it difficult to install Win10 on an external drive? With all the drivers for the trackpad and so...

Thank you very much, you are near of convincing me to buy the 256GB model xD
Nooooooooo don't want to convince you :) I just gave alternatives

The larger Apple SSD would be my preference but it's your wallet not my one :D

I use bootcamp so no real 1st hand knowledge to assist but a quick google shows how and the drivers should not be an issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.