Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oppenheimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Hi!
Before doing the installation, I took some informations. The title seems as a scoop, but you can actually find plenty of sites telling that Windows 10 is not compatible with Mac Pro 5.1, as the Apple support page (swiss-french, but you can turn it to en-us):
https://support.apple.com/fr-ch/HT204990

First explanation offered on some of the sites: "Microsoft were about not to support Mac Pro 5.1 Intel processors anymore".

Well, a machine (in which I invested nowadays for third the price), which in 2013 costed about USD 15000.-, and even 17000.- with a Nvidia Quadro K5000 Mac, were about to be not anymore supported by Microsoft? Windows 8 were the only Microsoft OS we could install on it, when older PCs are compatible?

I could not believe it. I followed the explained procedure you can find here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/better-than-bootcamp-guide.1858662/#post-22922590
as far I had an additional barrier: the PCIe configuration of the SSD.

But, yes, I also took other precautions:
I let the Mac OS 10.9.5 without additional update and even less upgrade, and did the same with Windows 8.1 Pro eligible to 10, after what I updated Windows 8.1 to 10. I am now doing the Mac OS X upgrade to X.11.5.

I can guarantee you that Microsoft Windows 10 support the Mac Pro 5.1 configuration; this is Apple, who want to sell half configured Mac Pro "6".1 (which accept half the RAM and SSD at max), based on AMD graphic cards, in case of any Windows 10 restriction about 5.1.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
US 15000 to US 17000. Holy S**t. So expensive they were, even in current price.
And Windows support on hardware is what Apple can never match ever. I don't think Microsoft would not support such hardware configuration, as long as hardware vendors don't drop the support.

Glad that you have found a way to bring your expensive Mac Pro 5.1 back to life, which it should be anyway.

Oppenheimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
And this is a moreover reason; Apple hardware support were of 6 years, so 2 remaining.

I targeted this machine from the beginning, but mine was not that price, as I acquired it nowadays (2 years remaining hardware support).

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.