Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Hello everyone, I wanted some advice/help as our IT support and MS tech documentation have been no help.

Our office bought a Lenovo Yoga laptop in 2018 for a colleague which worked fine until a Windows 10 update caused a mess. Basically, we set up a username and password to log in which is normal but after the update it would not allow us to log in – the hint was correct and the same as before.

Unfortunately, we have either lost or set up a USB boot key to change the password. Some files were backed up, but we would like to avoid resetting to factory settings if possible.

It was recommended to try to reset the password by using “Fresh Start” for Win 10 by going into safe boot mode (restart while holding down shift). This allows to reinstall Windows and erasing all apps but keeping user files. The funny thing is that the system asked again for the admin password and accepted it??? Problem after the process was complete we had same result and we could not log-in even with the same password.

Another odd thing is when you click on the eye to look at the admin password on the login screen it is totally correct.

WTF is going on here? The only other issue we could think of is something with keyboard (the laptop has a Swiss-French keyboard with either English or French options).

Does anyone have a solution not involving nuking the computer?

Thanks in advance.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
On the login screen. Click the middle symbol that looks sort of like a clock. Then select On Screen Keyboard. Use the On Screen Keyboard to login. Then check your keyboard language settings.

Keyboard language is in Settings > Time & Language > Language. Highlight your preferred language and choose Options. Under options "Add a Keyboard". Choose the correct layout for your keyboard. Such as Swiss French QWERTZ. Then remove any incorrect keyboard layouts.

If you want or need multiple Keyboard languages. You can leave more in. I think Windows Key + Space Bar quck switches input languages. But just came across a blurb about it. Haven't tried it as I only use US English.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Doesn't let em get past the login screen in the first place. I repeat I can go to safe mode or whatever it is called and I am able to input the password to use the Fresh Start to reinstall Windows. What is the difference??

I tried the on-screen keyboard tip and it doesn't work either.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.