Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sarbun96

Suspended
Jul 12, 2020
Bill Gates was about money.
Satya Nadella is about money.

Same monster. The monster is just feeding itself in a different way.

Companies exist to make money by providing something useful. This is not news, nor is it a problem.

It's how people make a living. And look in the process, we've all gained a hobby in technology and the world has come forward from the rise of computers.

Monsters? Please lol ...

Curious, in your work, how do they pay you? In something other than money? What do the customers use when they interact with the company, which in turn makes up whatever they remunerate you with?! Lol

Reactions: maflynn

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Companies exist to make money by providing something useful. This is not news, nor is it a problem.

It's how people make a living. And look in the process, we've all gained a hobby in technology and the world has come forward from the rise of computers.

Monsters? Please lol ...

Curious, in your work, how do they pay you? In something other than money? What do the customers use when they interact with the company, which in turn makes up whatever they remunerate you with?! Lol
I won't take anything out of context and try to answer everything you're el-oh-elling about.
Monster would be a metaphor for a business essentially "taking what it wants", "eating what it wants", "doing what it wants", whatever the "thing" is. Not the literal meaning of the term, monster.
Pretty sure you can think of some other word to describe gigantic corporations but for myself I'll stick with monster simply because there isn't much to do to regulate them, they pretty much do what they want.
Monster corps examples to me would be those like Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Tesla is on the way, Ford, GM, big medicine corps, big food corps, the government itself, those that aren't really controllable by normal means like how an actual monster is not really controllable by normal means.

Apologize if you got twisted up but I'm ok with answering you so you can analyze it some more.

At my work now, my partner checks the account and pays me. Or that R-word.
I pay my partner and the rest of the staff. About 40 people go direct deposit, only about 3 prefer checks.
My customers pay with whichever form of payment they feel like paying with. Small businesses prefer cold-hard cash as much as possible but these days it is what it is.
Prior to this particular line of work, my employer direct deposited.
Prior to that, it was the government direct depositing.
Prior to that was a check I took to a gas station to get cashed.
Prior to that was straight cash.

I'd like to go back then to the straight cash.
Much simpler times. No self-employment taxes. Heck not as many taxes in general. Or decisions to make.
What else boss?

Back to Windows update 20H2 possibly?

Reactions: canesalato

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Mainly stable with my experience as well.
At the offices, I have 4 locations with around 3-4 dozen Windows machines. All have been stable after 20H2.
There are roughly 20 different machines types across those desktops to give a fairly broad component type and nothing has shown itself to be an issue more than a single time, especially not multiple computers with a single problem.
At home I have not had any issues.

I was previously up to running the fast ring dev release builds on my daily but it did give more negatives than positives and was worth going back to a public release.

I have more issues with individual apps on machines than any other one thing.
Our company wide management software is for lack of better words, just trash.
But there is no demo or try feature when you get to software like that. You are forced to pay up front and go all in, essentially locking you in until you deem it financially necessary to "try" again with a different piece of software. They make it difficult to try anything else when the entry ticket is in the $10,000-18,000 up front range.

Windows for the last 10+years of me doing this has never been the issue. Personally. I say never... but, the least common donominator for me has been Windows out of all the years.
This time last year was a patch that knocked out WiFi on about 15 machines overnight. That was definitely Microsofts bad and took about a week of work days to get sorted out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It is a Windows discussion thread.
It is, a windows discussion thread on a Mac forum, so a comparison to Apple is not off target, especially since Microsoft and its staff are almost always compared to Apple, which is what I was doing

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've had some issues with the video card rebooting over and over and over again this morning. Some of the display setting seem to have been changed.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I've had some issues with the video card rebooting over and over and over again this morning. Some of the display setting seem to have been changed.
I did have some strange video card issues as well. Not sure if it was a driver or Windows. Both were updated fairly close to each other.

If you booted the computer normally, open a game, anything else graphically intensive it would play fine.
Let the machine sit for 4 to 5 hours, or longer, just letting it sit idle for a long period. Open a game again, it would load the beginning of the game then hard crash and reboot.
100% repeatable.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I did have some strange video card issues as well. Not sure if it was a driver or Windows. Both were updated fairly close to each other.

If you booted the computer normally, open a game, anything else graphically intensive it would play fine.
Let the machine sit for 4 to 5 hours, or longer, just letting it sit idle for a long period. Open a game again, it would load the beginning of the game then hard crash and reboot.
100% repeatable.

I've never updated video drivers (GT 1050 Ti) so that wasn't an issue. My system is normally up all the time though it sleeps overnight. When I have to restart it in the morning, it means that Windows Update ran the night before as the system otherwise never goes down. I had to reboot a few times and also reset the display timeout to get the problem to go away.

I use it as my trading station and home NAS. I use a different cluster for other stuff as the cluster is more comfortable to use. At any rate, the problem seems to be gone.

That issue also hosed my Windows 10 Virtual Machine so I had to rebuild it. This time I also cloned it so I have a local backup. One of the things that I hate about Windows Update is that it power-slams my Virtual Machines and that can hose them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.