Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, W7 and W8 will have W10 as a free upgrade. Regarding tiles, W10 brings back the start menu, or something like that at least. When you press the start button, you won't shift on a tiles-only separated desktop, but a start menu with customizable tiles as well as the classic submenus from previous versions will pop up, traditionally, from the lower-left corner of the screen.

Personally, I really hate the idea of bringing back the old-fashioned menu model. Especially with a bunch of tiles crammed in it. Fortunately, though, you can switch to the W8 behavior.

I did not like the wasted space of the tiles. Just give me desktop icons.

Renzatic

Suspended
For anyone reading this and not familiar with me, my heart belongs to Apple. In into Windows for one reason... GAMES!! :D

TRAITOR! :mad:

One thing that has always annoyed me is the Windows OEM, bloatware included that the large PC manufacturers put on their hardware. It's disgusting.

Yeah, that's always been the biggest pain in the ass with Windows. It's gotten so bad, MS had to start offering "Signature PCs" through their own stores to combat it.

It's all fairly easy (if not time consuming) to get rid of all the bloatware guff, but it's not something you should have to do at all. On a good note, Win10s "Reset This PC" option no longer uses a backup image to restore everything to factory default. Previously, OEMs would end up just stuffing all that same bloatware crap into their restore partitions, which made it all kinds of useless. Now, it's a button that resets everything to an MS defined default, which is pretty much a fresh install, save for your wallpaper and drivers.

Just to clarify from Windows 7 or 8, it's a free upgrade?
What did they do with Live Tiles? Besides the Registry, I can't stand Window's Tiles. o_O

What Antonis said.

As for the Live Tiles, they're still in there, but you can turn them off, make them small, or remove them from the start menu entirely, making it a little strip that looks and acts sorta like the old Win95 Start Menu.

This is how I've got it set up on my computer. It's pretty simple to set up this way.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Most likely I'll upgrade to Windows 10 on my PC, but I'm also temped to upgrade to 10 on my MBP via Boot Camp, if this can be executed without hassles. I'm wondering how prepared Apple is to support this upgrade with their drivers, or if I'm expected to go find ALL the drivers I might need in advance? Has anyone done this, move from Windows 7 directly to 10 via Bootcamp?

Questions:
*Does Bootcamp have Windows 10 compatible drivers?
*When upgrading from W7 to W10, what triggers Bootcamp to install W10 drivers, or are the Apple W7 drivers, W10 compatible. In the Original Bootcamp install, I seem to remember a Mac program you download to install Windows compatible drivers after Windows is installed.

Links:
HERE'S WHAT WINDOWS 10 DOES FOR GAMERS

HOW TO PREPARE YOUR PC TO UPGRADE WINDOWS 10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.