Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Installed W10 on my Lenovo Y70 last night, very impressed, super fast. Tried to perform a upgrade from Windows 8, but did not go so well, did a complete new install..Yes I have to use Windows where I work, I still luv my Mac's

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have to use it at work as well, hmmmm at least it is on my work machines
I use my personal MacBook Air mostly

I have found Windows 10 to be OK, just not my cup of tea
I don't have any real problems using it apart from the occasional glitches and such
I have far more issues with Office 365 and other products than I do with Windows 10 itself

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Windows 10 is okay, though I have a large number of gripes with it over 8.1:

- No easy way to boot into Safe Mode unless you can access the OS normally. Real stupid decision as you normally need Safe Mode when it won’t boot.

- Unable to easy skip Windows updates that keep failing, resulting in a 2 hour install attempt then subsequent rollback. In 7 & 8, when this happens you go through wuapp and disable which ones are causing the issue. Win 10 removed the ability to easily disable an update from installing and made Win update a Metro app, yet kept all the legacy service bull that you need to restart when there are issues.

- Data mining/advertising stuff. Not a huge issue to turn off but if you’re on a laptop with a spinner for a disk it can cause stupidly high resource usage.

It’s sort of like Win 95 was. Looked much better and more polished, ran nicer, but scratch the surface and it’s MS-DOS. Same with W10. It’s nicer but you still get the same damn issues as you did on 7 and 8, except in some instances it’s now even harder to troubleshoot.

Luckily I no longer work in first & second line computer support so the plagues of Windows issues I experienced every single day don’t hurt me any more. The biggest niggle I’ve had with W10 at my new place were some graphics driver issues causing the wrong resolution on one of my monitors. No sleep lost over that one.

TL;DR: fine when it works, can be utterly infuriating when it doesn’t.

Reactions: elf69

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I came across an article that I wished I saved or book marked because I can't seem to find it. I think it came through the news app on my phone anyways.

It was an article written by a person who has used Macs for the last 4 or 5 years and he switched over to Windows, and the end result was that he like what windows had to offer over macOS. He first mentioend that windows had a higher learning curve, but once you get used to it, then he preferred the advantages of windows has to offer over macos.

With Windows, you have access to more hardware, more periphials, more options. You also have the ability to customize, and alter the system in many ways. You basically can tune the machine so that you can have it work the way you want it too, and not get in the way.

With macOS you have to do it Apple's way, and there's a lot less freedom in changing the system.

The downsides to windows is the threat of malware (though at times I think macos is catching up), monthly updates that get tiring to apply, and it clogs the system unless you go in and delete them. Sometimes because of the complexity, things don't exactly work the way you want them too (but mostly it does).

The advantages to macOS as I see it, is that you're living in an integrated ecosystem with Apple's other products, and since I have an iPhone, iPad, iMac and MBPs using macOS makes too much sense for me. I mentiond this on another thread, but I was involved in a webex meeting last week and it was simple to use my iMac as a speaker phone while on the video conference. Additionally sharing the clipboard between my iPhone and iMac has been a benefit I failed to see early on but love it now.

There are many apps that run better in windows, and I frequently find myself booting my iMac into windows for that reason, games is the biggest reason, and I have access to more games on steam in windows. Its just not games however, I find RDP, Gotomypc, office apps all are better (subjective I know), then on macOS.

YMMV, but I feel in 2018, both platforms offer a lot of advantages and disadvantages. While many apple fans blindly cling to apple products and continue to use the term winblows, its not an accurate representation of real life/day to day usage. I get many people prefer macOS over windows (as I do), but that doesn't detract from windows advantages. Gone are the platform war days and consumers can choose the best product that fits their needs.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm more of a Windows 7 fan myself, but Windows 10 is installed on a few computers at work and on my daughter's laptop.

It's usually the W10 computers I have trouble with at work the most, although I have trouble with all the Windows PCs versus the PowerPC Macs and the sole Intel Mac.

I do have one W10 PC at work (in my area) that doesn't give me trouble. I think that's probably because I went through and adjusted privacy settings and such when it was first installed. I didn't do that with any of the other PCs at work.

A recent W10 update that had a high factor of irritation is that it broke Office 2003. Outlook would not open without an error. I had to install a later version, which of course the users appreciated but that's not a solution to something that shouldn't have broken to begin with.
[doublepost=1517153143][/doublepost]
The advantages to macOS as I see it, is that you're living in an integrated ecosystem with Apple's other products, and since I have an iPhone, iPad, iMac and MBPs using macOS makes too much sense for me. I mentiond this on another thread, but I was involved in a webex meeting last week and it was simple to use my iMac as a speaker phone while on the video conference. Additionally sharing the clipboard between my iPhone and iMac has been a benefit I failed to see early on but love it now.
I often hear this stated as a plus for Apple and if you have current Apple devices, services and OS (iOS and macOS) installed I can see this.

But, just from my experience, it's never been a plus for me. No iPhone I have ever bought new has synced with my PowerBook G4 or my PowerMacs. I can get a fascimile of iMessage on my Macs by using a Fluid created app and a jailbreak tweak. But that of course requires a jailbreak.

None of the newer "features" of iOS or OS X hold any real use for me and Google, Dropbox and a few other services have all given me substitutes for what Apple provides.

In short, it's hard to use Apple's ecosystem when they shut you out of it because your newest Mac is 12 years old and your oldest Mac is 18 or so.

If I couldn't have workarounds and alternatives though things might be different. But as it stands, in my opinion, this is a minimal plus. There are alternatives but a lot of people would rather go all in with Apple then investigate those alternatives.

That usually results in the statement of "I have too much invested in Apple" when discussion about leaving comes up.

But the alternatives are there if people choose to explore them. I did it because I had to, but it also keeps me from being dependent on Apple.

Last edited:

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Yea I hate the constant updates in Windows, but I see Apple is getting a lot of updates too

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
With macOS you have to do it Apple's way, and there's a lot less freedom in changing the system.

This may be applicable with iOS, but I've _never_ felt restricted with MacOS. I've got a number of UI customizations, automations, desktop scriptlets, self-compiled code - so many terrific open source options for developers (I've got dozens of instances of various web, DB, caching, [etc] servers), not to mention multiple OSs in VMs and a while dedicated instance of W10 via Bootcamp. This is in the context of the OS (and software) vs. hardware, that's a totally different conversation. :)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I prefer Windows 7 myself to 10. 10 just looks odd to me. However, I had the same feelings when I upgraded to Windows 7 in 2010. I plan on holding onto 7 until 2020 when support ends. It's going to be hard going back colored frames after having glass frames for 10 years by then.

I like MacOS Sierra, though.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
Sorry to say it, but 64-bit Windows 10 runs great on my 2006 24" iMac (the first 24" that they released), while with Apple it is only possible to run an OS that is 6 versions behind the current version, as they couldn't be bothered to write 64-bit graphics drivers for all of the older hardware that they cut off after Lion. So it falls to Microsoft to keep this great old hardware useful and up-to-date on browsers etc (and iTunes versions...)

Reactions: Falhófnir and loby

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Microsoft has put a lot of effort into making Windows 10 a decent OS after the Windows 8 train wreck (though I personally liked windows 8 and 8.1). Windows 7 was probably their best version, but I also liked Windows 2000.

It took Microsoft almost 30 years to get there due to their difficult target market of multiple (massive) hardware configurations and diverse applications and direction.

Each company had different targets, focus and goals for their OS, but now their OS’s are about equal in the battle for the consumer. Both work fine and it now comes to personal taste or whatever software application or app you need or use.

Because of this, Apple will need to put more focus on superior hardware which was their advantage in the past. Since Windows now “works”, Apple has to make their OS superior again and make their home grown software desirable again apps more than Microsoft’s offerings. Not throw us a bunch of bells and whistles and eye candy, but a great OS and apps that makes them the obvious choice.

The “computer” is not dead yet, though they also are trying to move the industry to tablets as Microsoft tried...

Apple’s target now is the newer generation who don’t care much about ‘the tools’ and takes “look” more over function...

...but they will have to do more than make their offering ‘look’ nice if they want to keep up with Microsoft’s momentum if they want to stay in the game.

Once Microsoft has both “look” and hardware offerings down..Apple can’t just rely on their toys and jewelry to continue..

Reactions: Falhófnir

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
A recent W10 update that had a high factor of irritation is that it broke Office 2003. Outlook would not open without an error. I had to install a later version, which of course the users appreciated but that's not a solution to something that shouldn't have broken to begin with.
haha i cannot tell if you are joking or not, either way interesting point

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
With the current market prices for hardware, building your own high end PC workstation isn't as "cheap" as it used to be.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
haha i cannot tell if you are joking or not, either way interesting point
Oh, no joke.

We've been using Office 2003 since around 2006-2007 for the editors and reporters. In 2014 some of the old PCs were updated to Windows 7 but we still used Office 2003. Two of those machines eventually got updated to Windows 10. A recent update left the editorial assistant unable to open her email.

I repaired, then uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003 and the same error occured. I'm sure I could have spent an hour or two trying to figure it out but I had my own work to do so I installed a later version of Office.

A few days later one of the reporters had an update to Windows 10 which caused the same error. I just cut to the chase and installed a later version on his PC rather then trying to deal with that.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Sorry to say it, but 64-bit Windows 10 runs great on my 2006 24" iMac (the first 24" that they released), while with Apple it is only possible to run an OS that is 6 versions behind the current version...
Yes, but the decades of baggage that Windows carries for backwards compatibility is more of a hindrance than a strength. It holds the ecosystem back.

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Oh, no joke.

We've been using Office 2003 since around 2006-2007 for the editors and reporters. In 2014 some of the old PCs were updated to Windows 7 but we still used Office 2003. Two of those machines eventually got updated to Windows 10. A recent update left the editorial assistant unable to open her email.

I repaired, then uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003 and the same error occured. I'm sure I could have spent an hour or two trying to figure it out but I had my own work to do so I installed a later version of Office.

A few days later one of the reporters had an update to Windows 10 which caused the same error. I just cut to the chase and installed a later version on his PC rather then trying to deal with that.
haha mind blown, office 2011 and autoCAD 2015 and some other smaller programs did not work for me on high sierra I dont think i have ever had a piece of software older than 5 years running well on a current macOs installation (not for lack of trying :D)
[doublepost=1517199647][/doublepost]
Yes, but the decades of baggage that Windows carries for backwards compatibility is more of a hindrance than a strength. It holds the ecosystem back.
it must be a design challenge for them to have compatibility like that no doubt, but sometimes I wonder if so many applications on macOs end up feature starved because of the constant compatibility breaking updates so that developers end up spending all their time fixing bugs instead of actually developing features

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
haha mind blown, office 2011 and autoCAD 2015 and some other smaller programs did not work for me on high sierra I dont think i have ever had a piece of software older than 5 years running well on a current macOs installation (not for lack of trying :D)
LOL!

The Mac I use at work is a Mac Pro running Yosemite.

Currently using Office 2008 on it. :D

And up until very late last year I was also using Adobe CS4 (to stay aligned with my coworker on her PowerMac G5).

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Oh, no joke.

Your company will not be able to hold out much longer. Great time to pitch for upgrades. Microsoft wants everyone sucked into subscription fees for Office, so It would not surprise me if Microsoft’s old now unsupported Office software begins to....not....work....with every update.....

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Your company will not be able to hold out much longer. Great time to pitch for upgrades. Microsoft wants everyone sucked into subscription fees for Office, so It would not surprise me if Microsoft’s old now unsupported Office software begins to....not....work....with every update.....
Hmm really if there ever were a case for subscription software it has to be office packages, with cloud storage, team services, hassle free upgrades and timely support

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
People don't like control, that's where the subscription issue happens with MS. I think..

It may be cheaper in the long run (automatically) vs user needing to purchase upgrades manually, but apart from that, that's really about it.

Reactions: loby

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Installed W10 on my Lenovo Y70 last night, very impressed, super fast. Tried to perform a upgrade from Windows 8, but did not go so well, did a complete new install..Yes I have to use Windows where I work, I still luv my Mac's

Do 99% of my cruising/bruising on my MacBook Air and iPad (in that order). The only reason I haven't cut the cord from Windows is I like the screen format for Excel/Word/Quicken in the Windows world.

Last year I wanted to buy the new MacBook for traveling only (form factor), but saw the MS Surface Pro 4 at about $350 less. So I bought the Surface Pro instead. It came with Windows 10 and works great for what i do on it. Cold boot in 15 seconds. I haven't timed my MBA recently, but I'm guessing that takes 1 minute or more to boot. The MBA has a Windows Partition (Parallels) that probably is slowing the boot time down. I almost never use the Windows 10 on the MBA and am thinking of dumping Windows from it since I also have an iMac that takes care of all my Excel/Word/Quicken needs at home and now the Surface on the road.

Since I now have the Windows 10 needs covered by my Surface Pro, there's no reason to have Parallels on my MBA. Since I joined the Apple world back in '08, I've thought that OS-X was better than Windows XP. Now I'm starting to think Windows 10 is just as good as the latest OS-X and maybe slightly better.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Microsoft still offers volume licensing on standalone Office 2016. They offer volume licensing on just about any software they make if you ask for it. The price difference isn't all that much.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, it will have to hit the boss first though.

Nothing gets done until it affects the bottom line, costs more money to ignore than to fix, or puts a crimp in the boss's day.

Thankfully the 'suggestions' from Windows 7 to upgrade to 10 have stopped.

Once InDesign CS2 stops working on 10 though I don't know what will happen.
[doublepost=1517231393][/doublepost]
Hmm really if there ever were a case for subscription software it has to be office packages, with cloud storage, team services, hassle free upgrades and timely support
That's funny.

This kind of thing isn't going to fly very well with one editor, one reporter and one editorial assistant. That's 3 people on the editorial team.

I make a fourth person in that I am the Composing Manager (group of one, me) and put the newspaper together. One person does legals, one person does circulation and two are ad reps. Total of 10 people, including the boss and his brother.

The server holds everything. There's no point in a subscription for us.

06tb06

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2017
It's still Windows. At the core you still have the system registry and DLL file system which adds overhead and complexity. Both of which are a pain to navigate, especially if you're not very tech savvy. In the past, when I used Windows as my primary driver, I remember installing new software and occasionally receiving some "xxxx.dll file could not be found" error message. Like I said, unless you're not a tech savvy that knows how to replace/drop DLL extensions into folder directory, this problem will plague many people who will simply click "OK" and then that's it. Nothing else happens afterward.

Not sure how the latest build performs but my past experience with W10 has been sub-par. Prior to macOS I was a Windows wrangler for 15+ years, Windows 3.1 and 95 being the earliest machines used, and I still prefer Windows 7. It's simple on so many many levels. Solitaire for example on Windows 7 runs perfect. In Windows 10, each time you start a new game, you're constantly asked to sign into your MS account and are shown unwanted advertising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.