Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
Good morning all
I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction here. I have a Samsung 970 evo nvme which has Mac OS High Sierra, and I would like to install windows 10 if not then windows 7 as a partition from Mac OS high Sierra. I’m strictly going to use the windows partition for gaming.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Good morning all
I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction here. I have a Samsung 970 evo nvme which has Mac OS High Sierra, and I would like to install windows 10 if not then windows 7 as a partition from Mac OS high Sierra. I’m strictly going to use the windows partition for gaming.

My suggestion is to keep it simple, install Windows in a low cost SATA SSD for gaming.

NVMe is consider external on cMP. Cannot install Windows directly and natively onto it.

Also, making multiple boot partitions in this case is asking for trouble.

If just for gaming, it make more sense to keep the Windows on a SATA SSD, let it connect to one of the native SATA port. If you want better gaming (loading) performance, you can still store the games on the NVMe.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
My suggestion is to keep it simple, install Windows in a low cost SATA SSD for gaming.

NVMe is consider external on cMP. Cannot install Windows directly and natively onto it.

Also, making multiple boot partitions in this case is asking for trouble.

If just for gaming, it make more sense to keep the Windows on a SATA SSD, let it connect to one of the native SATA port. If you want better gaming (loading) performance, you can still store the games on the NVMe.

That makes sense! Would I still partition the nvme Mac OS for the games to be stored on? Or should I buy another nvme to store the games on?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
That makes sense! Would I still partition the nvme Mac OS for the games to be stored on? Or should I buy another nvme to store the games on?

It's always better to use another NVMe, but in my own experience, the loading time difference between SATA SSD and NVMe isn't that much. If you are OK to buy another SSD to install Windows. Also another NVMe to store games. Then why not just buy a single high capacity SATA SSD for both?

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
It's always better to use another NVMe, but in my own experience, the loading time difference between SATA SSD and NVMe isn't that much. If you are OK to buy another SSD to install Windows. Also another NVMe to store games. Then why not just buy a single high capacity SATA SSD for both?
Good advise h9826790
I really appreciate your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.