Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Reactions: calstanford

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
makes sense. I think Apple does the same, but behind closed doors. WWDC this year will be interesting.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Microsoft being all over the place again, one thing that really got to me with Windows Phone... it sounds like this is their plan for a more modern, tighter OS to run alongside regular (bloated/ legacy compatibility focused) Windows... which already comes in 32 bit, 64 bit, Arm and 'S mode' flavours. Their inability to commit to a course (and especially to take developers along, though it's easy to see why with all the chopping and changing) has left them drifting a bit with a decent desktop/ laptop OS, but really struggling for an answer to a tablet or phone OS... again I thought 10X was going to be their touch-centric more modern OS that lent itself to more tablety devices like the Neo but now they're changing course again?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Meh. Wake me when the dual-screen devices are out. Single-screen Windows X looks like an attempt to put the iPad's homescreen on to a Windows 10 laptop. Not sure it'll work. Guess we'll see.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
PS: This reads like it was written by same person (almost) that wrote the one for The Verge - or are both just transcribing a press release brochure from MS?

From WindowsCentral:

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
windows RT, widows mobile, windows 10S, , windows 10X....not one stood and grown...Microsoft is about services and cloud....only the win 10 relay on Bill gates legacy and thats all
This is Microsoft...people who knows, should not makes high hopes...this 10X is chrombook copy cat UI

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
I've been annoyed by MS' lack of consistency
Perfect said ! I always hoped, but not anymore until Microsoft prove otherwise
10X like 10S like RT will be just a topic for discussions and thats all..few people will use it

Last edited:

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Is 10X build from the ground up or is it just a new UI on top of the old core?

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Yea, for some days i had 10X....ofc not official...
-The UI is a copy cat of the chromeOS...so this is a direct competition for chromebooks
-no win32 apps...if you care about that, is not for you, but edge is win32..and microsoft make a "door" to allow that...so in the future maybe, there will be ways to walk around somehow and allow some win32 apps (maybe)
-a lot of apps shown in the store, dont work...it would have been nice that only apps that works to show up
-no command line, not even notepad :)
-apps run only in full screen...i mean is meant for laptops first...not for tablets...in this case...a lot of people (based on price), will go ipadOS(a lot more apps there)
-no right click
-a lot of bugs...but again, is not official...
-This will come and go like RT and 10S and will remain in general, maybe, for educational segment

Last edited:
Reactions: Rashy and grmlin

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Is 10X build from the ground up or is it just a new UI on top of the old core?

Apparently yes, it has been build from the ground up, no expert here but from what I see this is in effect a new OS with a lot of changes, looks and operates fairly different.

Again, no expert but it seems to me that current Windows can't detach itself from the things it really needs to, win32 specifically. So with 10X you will get a new OS built in a modern way, ready to support ARM amongst other things.

No Win32 support from the start at all, which is good, forces developers to make the change.

Suspect this is going to be an OS you will see more on consumer machines that have less reliance on the need for Win32 and grow from there.

Does seem like a positive approach, time will tell. From what I have seen the new UI looks pretty decent and it will come with a lot more in the customization front. Currently it looks more like macOS than Windows o_O

Reactions: grmlin

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Currently it looks more like macOS than Windows o_O
Really? I thought it looked a lot like Chrome OS.
1611231355198.png

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
This sounds like the evolution of Windows 8 for the first Surface RT, I always was somewhat sad that it died so fast back then. The whole "let's build native Windows apps with Javascript or ..." was such a good idea. Probably ahead of it's time and now dead :(

I still think that they are too late though. If Apple brings a real Surface competitor they will have a hard time with this. Devices can be dirt cheap though if it's not Apple, so there is a good chance I'm totally wrong lol

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Apparently yes, it has been build from the ground up
That's what I read and in all truthfulness, I'm more excited about what this has to offer. I think MS needs to step up to the plate given how macOS is fully functioning on ARM. With that said, I'm sure Apple has had a parallel development of macOS on the ARM for a long time.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Microsoft has such a fantastic design system on it's hand with Fluent, but Windows 10 will never be a beauty imo. It's plagued with all the old stuff buried deep in Windows' core since the 90s or something.
The screens of 10x look really good.

I think it's absolutely amazing that Apple managed to migrate the old ass OS X to Arm without cutting off the old Intel platform.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I hope Windows 10x is not the new Vista.
A couple of points, MS over promised, over hyped Longhorn and kept changing the features. The delays go so out of hand, they removed nearly all promised features and delivered a buggy OS. Once the dust settled, it was a fast stable OS, in fact there's not much that different in a fully patched Vista OS, then its successor, Windows 7 which was beloved by many.

As for Windows X, they need to provide full compatibility to apps now, not promising it later, if they do that, then they'll be ahead of the game, at least compared to Windows RT

Reactions: I7guy

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The default background is dynamic? I didn't know that...

Apparently so:

Windows 10X features dynamic wallpapers that change content depending on different factors. For example, internal Windows 10X builds feature a mountain-view wallpaper that has morning, afternoon, evening, and night variants that appear based on your device's actual time. This wallpaper also seemingly has dynamic clouds and birds that appear every so often.

Thankfully, it seems like Windows 10X supports ARM processors.

I guess this is the whole point of not having Win32 support on 10X day one, Microsoft needs people to start getting away from that. So if it is not there you either update your software or don't use it. That will be a painful process, Apple did it of course but I expect it will be a far higher mountain to climb on Windows.

If it works out on 10X which is a big if, it should pave the way for ARM, slowly.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]
I guess this is the whole point of not having Win32 support on 10X day one, Microsoft needs people to start getting away from that. So if it is not there you either update your software or don't use it. That will be a painful process, Apple did it of course but I expect it will be a far higher mountain to climb on Windows.[...]
Could be a barrier of entry for corporate customers. I personally won't upgrade unless win32 is supported. And I suspect it will take more than several years (10+ imo) and some mis-steps before Microsoft realizes it needs to support legacy applications.

That Apple did it is one thing, that Microsoft will try to do it for core infrastructure applications is another. Gotta do what your customers want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.