Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro with OpenCore (via OCLP 0.4.3) and UEFI dual-booting macOS and Windows 11 21H2 (22000.652) - so the latest version. I disabled Secure Boot, Driver Signing, and Defender, then followed these instructions, and I was able to get DDL and DTS Interactive showing in Realtek HD Audio Manager, but it's not working properly in games like Overwatch. I only hear sounds from the Front-Left and Front-Right speakers.

The last time it was working properly was probably around early February when I was running Windows 10 on this same machine via a manual install of OpenCore (not OCLP). I had installed these unsigned drivers probably a year ago and they'd been working properly since. I could hear discrete sounds from all 5 individual channels, depending on my position. If a gun was firing behind me and to the right, I heard it from the right-rear speaker. As my character rotated, the sound would move from speaker to speaker properly, as expected.

I run Overwatch around March 8, and suddenly I only hear sound from the Front-Left and Front-Right speakers. The only thing I think I had done was update OpenCore, because nothing else changed on the machine except a few Windows updates, but even then, they were security-related.

The weird thing is that I test it in Windows Sounds > Playback tab > double-click Realtek Digital Output > Supported Formats tab > under Encoded formats, select Dolby Digital > Test > I hear 6 discrete sounds from 6 discrete separate channels properly (5 + sub). I click the Advanced tab > Default Format is Dolby Digital Live (5.1 Surround) > Test > I hear the same test sound from the Front-Left, a pause (which would presumably be the center channel), then the proper test sound from the Front-Right...and that's it. Every time, I see the "DECODE" light actuated on my Logitech Z906 "receiver." I check the General tab > Jack Information > Rear Panel RCA Jack - which is incorrect. I am connected via optical TosLink cable.

Spatial Sound is off.

FWIW, in the Realtek HD Audio Manager > Speaker Configuration tab > only 2 speakers are showing, and in the Speaker configuration sub-section, Stereo is selected and grayed out/greyed out/disabled. So, it seems the machine isn't detecting the fact that the speakers are connected via TosLink. So, I disconnected and reconnected and even tried a different cable. No changes.

I uninstalled the drivers, tried the latest ones, tried the Windows ones, reinstalled Windows, and tested just about everything else I could imagine.

Is it possible something in OCLP is preventing this from working? I'm out of ideas.

Screenshot 2022-04-27 220452.png
Screenshot 2022-04-27 220515.png
Screenshot 2022-04-27 220549.png
Screenshot 2022-04-27 220610.png

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Welp, call off the dogs. Gustavo Sicha is a legend! I used DDU to uninstall the old drivers, ran the installer again, and it's now working! Unbelievable! More info here.

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Great, that was fast.
It was right in front of my nose the entire time! :p

Do you have the link for the tutorial how to update Windows 10 to 11?
I wish I could say there was a definitive tutorial I followed. I just Googled for instructions about how to upgrade to Windows 11 on unsupported machines (not just unsupported Macs, but any machine), and followed what I found.

It was actually quite easy as far as I remember. Generally, I just started by trying to download it from Microsoft's web site, and at each point that I ran into a problem, I Googled and there was a solution out there. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I will say that Windows 11 functions just fine it seems. We'll see...

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Update: it is no longer working. I tried older drivers, I tried patched DLLs, I tried everything I could find on the internet, and nothing works. So as a last resort, I moved over to HDMI from my video card. It works perfectly always. No special drivers, no patches, no registry edits. Plus, considering the new Mac Pro doesn’t even have optical out, it seems HDMI is the present and future anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.