Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi there, have not been installing bootcamp many years, so maybe stupid question.

i am gonna buy win livense and install it via Bootcamp, would it work if I buy win11 on usb or should i rather buy electronic license and diwnload iso or whatever microsoft use as container?

would ratger buy license/install usb but nit sure it wourd work out of box or not. Do not want any unnecessary hassle;)

thx.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Windows 11 wont run on a Mac via bootcamp without hacking. No TPM chip, which is a requirement for Windows 11.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I would stick with windows 10 over 11. There are threads on this site on reasons why. Also make sure you have filevault set to off before starting the bootcamp process.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Ok, and if i choose win10, should i buy just key and download iso from ms - is that the best way?

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Thats what I did..installed from MS and about a week later added the key. Make sure you have filevault off and install all the drivers. There many youtube videos on how to do it.

RetroDan

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2015
Michigan
A (non-free) way to get around this is to use WinClone to install Windows 10 using the Quick Install Windows feature along with the BootCamp Drivers. Then, after booting into that Windows install and making sure all your drivers are up to date (which, irritatingly, seems to involve making sure all the devices under Device Manager are updated manually), you can use Rufus to create a Windows 11 install USB drive/SD card that will seamlessly update your Win10 install to Win11. I did it this way on my 2019 Mac Pro, and I was truly expecting some issues to crop up. I have been pleasantly surprised (read: absolutely flabbergasted) to have encountered absolutely no issues whatsoever - no issues with Windows Update, no issues with booting or features. It just seems to WORK.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Also, don't try upgrade any of your drivers except thru the windows update. I tried to update to the latest intel 5100 drivers from AMD and got crashes until I got rid of them on my Macmini 2014. My other 2018 Macmini uses a breakout box with rx6700xt and I try to do the same.

Last edited:

Ade50

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
Parramatta
I had Windows 10 and updated to Windows 11 with this guide using the Media Creation Tool, it's only for intel macs already running Windows 10 with Boot Camp.
Windows 11 is up-to-date and so far working great on my 2017 mac.
Hopefully Microsoft doesn't bring out an update that breaks it.

arinamichel911

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2023
I think buy a license for Windows 11 provide more flexibility and control during the installation process.
Hi there, have not been installing bootcamp many years, so maybe stupid question.

i am gonna buy win livense and install it via Bootcamp, would it work if I buy win11 on usb or should i rather buy electronic license and diwnload iso or whatever microsoft use as container?

would ratger buy license/install usb but nit sure it wourd work out of box or not. Do not want any unnecessary hassle;)

thx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.