Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I'm looking at various options for a windows laptop. I wanted to see whether I would be giving up anything of significance if I go with Windows 11 Home instead of Pro. (I want a machine without touchscreen.)

Does the Home version have the unix shell and is it possible to get tools like bc and gcc?

I had priced out an XPS 13 a few days ago and was about to go with that. Turns out, that configuration is no longer available with 11 Pro, but it is available with 11 Home.

I was trying to decide between Dell XPS 13, Thinkpad X1 Nano, and Vaio SX12. The latter two are available with Pro. The X1 is quite a bit pricier and the the SX12 is a little more expensive. So XPS 13 seems to be the best value.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
You can always get a Windows 11 Pro license key for around $20 or so.

Get the home version and then just enter a new windows 11 key. It will upgrade to pro. I have a few machines I have done this to with no problems.

I am not sure about the tools you asked about but for me to be able to edit registry and disable telemetry is worth the upgrade.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's the differences: https://beebom.com/windows-11-home-vs-windows-11-pro/
This page does a very good job at explaining it, but also includes a concise matrix

1646388631933.png

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Biggest difference for first time users would be the inability to skip online account requirement by not connecting to the internet in first time setup. In Windows 11 Home, it will require internet connectivity and an online account for the first account. Once you are in, you can still create an offline account though.

Reactions: sydneysider88

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
  • Sad
Reactions: ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
While that is certainly true now, MS has already stated that in future updates/releases of Win11 Pro, you will be required to have an account. You will no longer be able to install windows using a local account

You’ll need a Microsoft account to set up future versions of Windows 11 Pro
Yeah I read that, and that sucks. What happen if you are in an environment without a network connection? Or it's a secure machine that you simply don't want it in a network for any reason, even temporarily? It befuddles me that Microsoft made this decision, especially for the Pro version. I wonder if Enterprise version is the same. Or i guess I'll have to hunt for Windows 10 LTSC licenses...

Reactions: bobcomer

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What happen if you are in an environment without a network connection?
I would assume that the thinking is that nearly everyone who needs to install windows is in a location with the internet.

I wonder if Enterprise version is the same
I'm assuming that the enterprise version will not, simply because of the companies I've worked for. They use a images to install windows.

I'm hoping (its a desperate hope) that the push back and negative response is enough to have MSFT rethink this move

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
While that is certainly true now, MS has already stated that in future updates/releases of Win11 Pro, you will be required to have an account. You will no longer be able to install windows using a local account

You’ll need a Microsoft account to set up future versions of Windows 11 Pro
I wonder what they're planning to do for customers who used to use LTSB (Long Term Service Branch). My customers don't want to use their MSFT account to create a Windows account.

Most of my customers do not connect to the Office LAN on their workstations.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Does the Home version have the unix shell and is it possible to get tools like bc and gcc?

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL) uses Virtual Machine Platform and not Hyper-V so it should work with Home.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I would assume that the thinking is that nearly everyone who needs to install windows is in a location with the internet.

I'm assuming that the enterprise version will not, simply because of the companies I've worked for. They use a images to install windows.

I'm hoping (its a desperate hope) that the push back and negative response is enough to have MSFT rethink this move
Can you even get the Enterprise version without a volume license?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I wonder what they're planning to do for customers who used to use LTSB (Long Term Service Branch). My customers don't want to use their MSFT account to create a Windows account.

Most of my customers do not connect to the Office LAN on their workstations.
I think LTSB will be supported until 2026, so plenty of time for Microsoft to (hopefully) change their mind, or make certain exceptions.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
No. Why would you want it? For the average user it offers no benefits over Pro license.
Can you even get the Enterprise version without a volume license?
You can get a Pro license very cheap off of 3rd party websites so no need to buy a device with Pro. Just get what you want and add Pro later.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No. Why would you want it? For the average user it offers no benefits over Pro license.

You can get a Pro license very cheap off of 3rd party websites so no need to buy a device with Pro. Just get what you want and add Pro later.
As far as I know Enterprise doesn’t require a Microsoft account for installation, which (Windows 11) Pro may start requiring (allegedly).

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
As far as I know Enterprise doesn’t require a Microsoft account for installation, which (Windows 11) Pro may start requiring (allegedly).
Windows 11 already requires a MS account to set up and has for a long time. However there are ways to do so. If you disable the internet connection it will offer a way to set up without it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Windows 11 already requires a MS account to set up and has for a long time. However there are ways to do so. If you disable the internet connection it will offer a way to set up without it.

There's an easier way, and it's quite funny.
You actually just need to use a fake/random/made-up Microsoft account. Windows setup then saw it couldn't log-in, then it just allows you to create an offline account. 😂 Don't know if that's intentional by Microsoft or not, but I just hope they won't close that loophole.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.