Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'd like a Windows 2-in-1 device with pen and NVIDIA graphics. I'm struggling to find anything which matches what I want.

The difficult option seems to be NVIDIA graphics. Reason I want NVIDIA graphics is because this is what's officially supported by a particular piece of software I use. It can be low end NVIDIA graphics. Easy to get in a traditional laptop but I can't find in 2-in-1 laptop with pen.

I wonder if anyone here is aware of any options?

Essential
  • Screen less than 15"
  • Active pen
  • NVIDIA graphics

Desirable
  • Secure on-device housing for pen (this could be within device like on ThinkPad Yoga devices or within keyboard accessory (like in the new Surface Pros)
  • Kensington security slot
  • Upgradeable SSD and RAM
No strong preference
  • Form factor - folding, swivel, slate all fine

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Lenovo Yoga 9i checks almost all the boxes except for 15.6" and soldered RAM.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/yoga-9-15imh5/88ygc901503

Thanks. Not too bothered about the soldered RAM as 16 GB is sufficient for me, but not keen on screen size. If I did decide to compromise on screen size this would certainly be up there as a strong option - I particularly like that it has on board storage for the pen. But still holding out hope of finding something smaller.

As an aside, I do currently use a Yoga device as my laptop - ThinkPad L13 Yoga, which has everything I want except NVIDIA graphics. If Lenovo hadn’t discontinued ThinkPad P40 Yoga line (14” with NVIDIA), I’d probably be using that.

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
It's got Nvidia

Q-6

Thanks, that’s an interesting device!

Just read a review and it doesn’t have any biometric security, which is probably a deal breaker for me. I kind of assumed biometric security was a given for any mid to high end mobile device released in the last few years, so didn’t mention it as an essential feature in my opening post, but it is important for me.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Surface Studio has Nvidia graphics and is a 2 in one and has pen support. Windows hello security.

Unfortunately they are out of stock for now but should get more in hopefully soon. Seems like exactly what you are looking for?

Reactions: ozaz

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Surface Studio has Nvidia graphics and is a 2 in one and has pen support. Windows hello security.

Unfortunately they are out of stock for now but should get more in hopefully soon. Seems like exactly what you are looking for?

That does look like a good option. It’s more than I would usually pay for a laptop but certainly tempting. Not entirely convinced by the approach to pen storage (prefer what they have done on the new Surface Pro keyboard) but I’m near a Microsoft experience centre so I can go and take a look for myself.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Microsoft prices can be hard to swallow for sure. I do think the materials and design are usually very good. I have a Surface laptop 4 and I got it on sale and it is a base model. I have a MBP for heavy lifting but everything else I do on the Surface.

One advantage as I see it is that all the driver updates are done through Microsoft update which makes it a very integrated process. Also no worry about 3rd party driver updates and security vulnerabilities.

I think it is a very good idea to check out the device first and then you can see for yourself how it works and responds. If you have any problems with the device later on you can bring it to Microsoft store for service or questions which you can’t do with an OEM.

Good luck!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thanks, that’s an interesting device!

Just read a review and it doesn’t have any biometric security, which is probably a deal breaker for me. I kind of assumed biometric security was a given for any mid to high end mobile device released in the last few years, so didn’t mention it as an essential feature in my opening post, but it is important for me.
Thing with these gaming centric portables is they present a lot of performance with solid cooling solutions. I've rerolled many gaming notebooks to workstations over the years. Turned off the disco lights and got to work. Clients don't care, they only want results. The rest is down to sales & marketing, niece use cases. After all a computer is a computer and if you need power there's solutions that are better than others...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.