Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ju87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2003
I'm having problems accesing files on my windows 2000 box from my 12" powerbook.

This is the sequence of steps that I have taken:

1. connected Ethernet cable between the two computers
2. set my windows ip to: 10.0.0.1, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
3. set a folder on windows to share
4. set my mac ip to: 10.0.0.2 and subnet mask to: 255.255.255.0 in system preferences/network
5. enabled windows file sharing in system preferences/sharing
6. finder/go/connect to server
7. connect to server window shows 2 locations; 1) my mac 2) 10.0.0.1
8. select windows ip
9. click “connect”
10. “connecting to smb://192.168.0.1”
11. receive error message: “an error has occurred (error = -36)”

I'm able to ping the mac from the windows pc and vice versa.

I hope that someone can help me, I'm at my wit's end.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Also, since you are connecting directly from one computer to another, you'll need a crossover RJ-45 cable and not just a typical RJ-45 Ethernet cable. This is how it works in the PC world so I assume it is the same with heterogeneous environments. I have never tried since crossovers are not required when using network hubs or switches.

Hickman

ju87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2003
I realized that i didn't include the sharename in the address when attempting to connect to the server, ie: smb://10.0.0.1/sharename.

After i do this, the "SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authentication" window pops up.

It prompts me for: workgroup/domain, username.

I try to log in using "workgroup" as the workgroup/domain, my windows username and password, but i am unable to connect. I still get the receive error message:

“an error has occurred (error = -36)”

Is there something I didn't setup properly on the windows end?

One step closer, but not quite there yet.

ju87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2003
it turns out that network DDE was not enabled on the windows box. stupid windows. yet another reminder why i bought a mac. all i had to do on the mac end was enable 3 or 4 settings in 2 locations. on the windows box, i had to change a bunch of settings in 3 or 4 locations.

claas

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2003
Originally posted by Brian Hickman
Also, since you are connecting directly from one computer to another, you'll need a crossover RJ-45 cable and not just a typical RJ-45 Ethernet cable. This is how it works in the PC world so I assume it is the same with heterogeneous environments. I have never tried since crossovers are not required when using network hubs or switches.

Hickman

The current Macs do not require the use of a crossover cable to directly connect to a second computer. A normal Ethernet cable will work as well, because crossing is done automatically. See Apple Knowledgebase for detailed info (Article ID 42717)

mim

macrumors 6502
ju87:

So many people have these same issues it might be very handy if you wrote down the steps you had to take to set the Windows machine up properly (if you can remember!). It'll be a very useful thing for Google to archive.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Is the share on a windows 2k server running active directory? because samba does not do AD. also try setting your subnet mask to a class a subnet mask instead of a class c.

Edit: nevermind....

Critflick

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2003
Toronto
Hi Ju87 (or anyone else who's trudged through this process): Is there anyway you can give some further details of how you finally were able to get your Mac and PC talking?

I have 2 PC Desktops running Win2K and a G5 OSX 10.2.7

I am completely new to Mac's so I'm not sure how to go about getting them to be even able to ping one another. Both of the Windows machines are able to ping one another and are set up on the ip range of 192.168.0.1(2)

I have tried changing the Workgroup on the Mac to match that of the windows machines

In the connect to server window should I be typing in:
"smb://192.168.0.1/ComputerName" or
"smb://192.168.0.1/SharedFolderName"?

Also when the Authentication window pops up what did you end up figuring that you put for Workgroup/Domain

If it was this DDE enabling that did the trick, what was it that you needed to input.

I'd really appreciate your help.

Marlon_JBT

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Detroit, Michigan
Networking

This is how *I* did it. Your results may vary.

I have a Windows XP box, and a 12" PowerBook. I spent $29 on the cheapest switch I could find in Best Buy, since 3 computers will soon share a DSL connection, and it will suffice until I get some wireless set up in my house. (And inside my PB! I'm an unemployed teenager.) I spent $19 on 2 7' RJ-45 Cat5e ethernet cables. I connected them via the switch, from the ethernet cards from both computers. I launched "Internet Connection Wizard" or something like that from the Windows box. I told it to share an internet connection. Later, I went into TCP/IP settings from the Networking control panel, and changed the IP address to 192.168.0.1, (And hooked that computer up to port #1 on the switch) I gave my PB 192.168.0.2, and hooked it up to port #2. Any computer plugged into port 3,4, and 5, will get the numbered IP address.

To grab or get any files from the Windows box, I went to "Go" "Connect To Server", and chose the Windows Box, which is approprately named "Windows Box". It appeared in the list on the left column. That mounted the HD on my PB's desktop, and from there on, I can drag and drop files.

However, I'm still trying to get the Windows Box to see my Mac's home folder! I had it, and it said something about samba, but I'm clueless... anyway, something else came inbetween, and now, I can't do it anymore.

Some notes: Running the wizard on the XP machine will turn it into a mini DHCP server (Or does the switch do that?). Do not use the IP addresses it provides. (or file sharing won't work, at least, in my case it didn't.) The first thing you might want to do is ping each computer, from each computer, to make sure they're talking. Also, switches are really cheap these days, and truthfully, I got ripped off at $30. It might make some sense to go the switch route, instead of the crossover cable, when you might have multiple computers around.

Our DSL provider will send another network card so, I can hook up the DSL modem, and share the connection through the switch.

Critflick

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2003
Toronto
Thanks, I'll give that a try, but I think the source, or at least a major contributer to the problem may be an improper installation of OSX. For one thing my Windows file sharing won't stay on and the Workgroup keeps getting reset. And from what I can gather from the Applecare database this can be caused by not enabling the BSD Subsystem when installing OSX.

So I'm going to reinstall it OSX unless anyone knows of a way to enable BSD Subsystem without a reinstall.

Also is am I inviting more trouble be attempting an OSX reinstall - is it a very complex process or is it as simple as reinstalling a Windows OS? Is it something a Mac rookie can handle is what I'm asking :)

sandiptatan

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2003
network mac osX and windows me

Hi Ju87,

I have an Imac with os10.2 and a pc running windows me. i also have tried to network them through a simple ethernet cable and faced the same problem (error=-36) as you have. Will you please post step by step instruction regarding how you managed to network them successfully in the end?

Hope it is not a big favour I am asking. Please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.