Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
California
So for the sake of ease and saving space seeing as I do a lot of work and use many software in both Tiger and OSX I was thinking about installing windows on a external hd. Now what I want to know is how would I go about doing this? Is it simple as installing bootcamp and then install windows on the hd and then load the same way as if it were on the main hd??

Also, is any one running windows 2003. Have you ran any issues with installing it in on bootcamp? I rather install 2003 than Xp as I want to try something different than what my pc is running.
Thank you.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
bloodycape said:
So for the sake of ease and saving space seeing as I do a lot of work and use many software in both Tiger and OSX I was thinking about installing windows on a external hd. Now what I want to know is how would I go about doing this? Is it simple as installing bootcamp and then install windows on the hd and then load the same way as if it were on the main hd??

Also, is any one running windows 2003. Have you ran any issues with installing it in on bootcamp? I rather install 2003 than Xp as I want to try something different than what my pc is running.
Thank you.
No. By default Windows doesn't boot off external USB/FW media without some work. There's a workaround that involves modifying some of the XP INF files on the install disc that gets you around this for a USB install. There's also a workaround for the MacBook that involves removing the internal drive during the install. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/191777/

There have been reports of 2K3 running on the internal drive. Search the forums.

EDIT: Here's an external link and a couple of local threads: http://blog.netnerds.net/2006/05/run-windows-2003-server-r2-on-your-macbook/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/229715/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/225496/
B

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
California
So how can I do this work around with windows 2003? Or is that not tested yet? How about with Vista if I can not doing with 2003? Thank you

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
bloodycape said:
So how can I do this work around with windows 2003? Or is that not tested yet? How about with Vista if I can not doing with 2003? Thank you
IMHO the Vista install is UGLY as it involves eliminating the EFI partition on your internal drive.

I haven't heard of anyone trying to keep the USB drivers loaded in 2K3, but suspect that it would be similar to XP. EDIT: Confirmed: http://forums.ngine.de/viewtopic.php?t=1512&sid=13d09964dffcdf232e12db883c032557

Have you considered running under Parallels/VMWare? You can easily store you VM on an external going that route.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Nermal said:
5536 works without wiping EFI.
Good news! Is that the RC1 some testers are saying isn't ready for prime time? I haven't been keeping up....

Any clue how it handles booting from USB/FW?

B

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
California
Yeah it looks like to much work booting off a external hd and I rather not spend the time or effort doing so. Unless there is a simpler way? So now comes the tough choice of going the server 2003 route, or Vista route. I don't like the fact that I have to use an external keyboard with 2003 but it should be safer. Vista RC1 is build 5600 so that mean it wont have an EFI problem?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
balamw said:
Good news! Is that the RC1 some testers are saying isn't ready for prime time? I haven't been keeping up....

RC1 is 5600, and 5536 is the latest public release. I haven't used anything between ß2 and 5536 so I don't know how long the EFI fix has been there for.

balamw said:
Any clue how it handles booting from USB/FW?

No idea. My external is my backup drive and it's formatted with APM/HFS+ so I can't install Windows on it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
bloodycape said:
so which one would be easier to install and work with 2003 or Vista?

Well they're intended for different things. What are you actually trying to accomplish?

I'm running 2003 in Parallels so that I can use SharePoint, and it's working quite well.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
California
Nermal said:
Well they're intended for different things. What are you actually trying to accomplish?

I'm running 2003 in Parallels so that I can use SharePoint, and it's working quite well.

I'd prefer to run it on an external hd but rather not go through all the hassle involved. I want something simple, easy to install, is faster or equal to xp in speed and can be used for software my school may require. I rather not run XP as I can not get a legal copy of it and rather try another OS that my pc isn't running. Advanced networking would be nice. Oh and I have a windows based external tv card I would like to use if that makes a difference? Thanks to everyone for the help. This should help some people.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
bloodycape said:
Would either one support usb tv cards? And I would not mind the stability of a server. Hmmm tough one.
You're more likely to see USB TV support in Vista or XP than 2003, particularly since it is a server product.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.