Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcontech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
Hi, I'll tell you my problem
I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 on a Macbook Pro5.2 17", I'm doing it directly without going through bootcamp, to the Mac I have connected an eSata Sonnet Express card which works perfectly under MacOS, on which I would like to install Windows on the external disk. I'll start by doing I boot regularly with a USB stick with Windows 8.1 GPT/EFI, the procedure is successful until the format screen where I don't see the SSD connected externally via eSata but only the internal one. By doing the same procedure with Windows 10 I can instead see the disk, format it and complete the installation, I cannot install Windows 10 because it has a myriad of problems related to the bootcamp drivers linked to this machine, mainly the video card (dedicated Geforce 9600 GT and shared GeForce 9400). I'll give you some other directions, on the internal disk I can easily complete the installation of Windows 8.1, on another MacBook Pro 17" late 2011 the same procedure allows me to see the external disk easily and then move on. I tried to do the installation through VIRTUALBOX under macos, I manage to install everything but when I start using the option button when I launch the load on that disk I get a block with an error because the external disk is rightly not found. I add that I also tried three external boxes exactly thinking that the problem was there. the problem be linked to the fact that Windows 10 has drivers that Windows 8.1 does not have? or what could be the problem thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.