Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm a dried in the wool Apple affeciatinato. I thoroughly enjoy all things Apple. That's not to say I don't like and use other products. I haven't made the jump (yet) to Apple computers and have several pc's that I use at work and at home.
I recently bought an HP Omni 10 - a 10.1 inch tablet to use as a tablet. It's a nifty little device but it can't replace an iPad no way, no how.

Windows 8.1 tablets have the windows boot time down to about 20 seconds and 10 seconds to wake from sleep. The iPad doesn't need to boot to use it. It's just on.
CORRECTION- I WAS DOING IT WRONG. IT IS A SECOND TO WAKE FROM SLEEP BY PASSING THE LOGIN.

On iOS, I have many keyboard shortcuts that signify my several email addresses. I type 3 letters and the email address is up. On the windows tablet, I've got to type in the complete address and it's a pain in the rump.
I keep wanting to speak the text I'm typing..can't do it on the windoze tablet.
I MUST use a mouse to efficiently navigate the windows environment because the touch points are tiny..not so with my rMini. The differences are endless but the main difference is the speed of use and lack of portability.
To effectively use the Omni 10, I have to have it on a stand with wires coming out the bottom connecting it to a powered usb hub. Even though this is a great tablet that runs Windows 8.1 well, it has earned a dedicated spot in my man cave to the left of my Windows 7 desktop. Those two computers are networked together and just a lot of fun playing with the stationary tablet.
I took it out on a field trip yesterday and tethered it to my iPad Air, so without a wifi connection, you can't do much. On the positive side, I doubt I'll ever boot my dell laptop up again, this tablet is way more efficient. I've got Adobe Photoshop 7.0 installed on the Omni and several other Microsoft branded software titles on the Omni, so that is something that can't need done on the iPad so that is a plus for the a Omni10.
Again, I really enjoy and use my 64gb Omni 10, but it will not replace an iPad or a good android tablet for that matter any time soon.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm a dried in the wool Apple affeciatinato. I thoroughly enjoy all things Apple. That's not to say I don't like and use other products. I haven't made the jump (yet) to Apple computers and have several pc's that I use at work and at home.
I recently bought an HP Omni 10 - a 10.1 inch tablet to use as a tablet. It's a nifty little device but it can't replace an iPad no way, no how.
Windows 8.1 tablets have the windows boot time down to about 20 seconds and 10 seconds to wake from sleep. The iPad doesn't need to boot to use it. It's just on.
On iOS, I have many keyboard shortcuts that signify my several email addresses. I type 3 letters and the email address is up. On the windows tablet, I've got to type in the complete address and it's a pain in the rump.
I MUST use a mouse to efficiently navigate the windows environment because the touch points are tiny..not so with my rMini. The differences are endless but the main difference is the speed of use and lack of portability.
To effectively use the Omni 10, I have to have it on a stand with wires coming out the bottom connecting it to a powered usb hub. Even though this is a great tablet that runs Windows 8.1 well, it has earned a dedicated spot in my man cave to the left of my Windows 7 desktop. Those two computers are networked together and just a lot of fun playing with the stationary tablet.
I took it out on a field trip yesterday and tethered it to my iPad Air, so without a wifi connection, you can't do much. On the positive side, I doubt I'll ever boot my dell laptop up again, this tablet is way more efficient. I've got Adobe Photoshop 7.0 installed on the Omni and several other Microsoft branded software titles on the Omni, so that is something that can't need done on the iPad so that is a plus for the a Omni10.
Again, I really enjoy and use my 64gb Omni 10, but it will not replace an iPad or a good android tablet for that matter any time soon.

Hmm, every single windows tablet I've ever used has woken from sleep instantly, maybe you had bad hardware? Cold boot time is about 10 seconds, but it would be extremely rare that you would have to cold boot. A windows tablet doesn't need to boot either, it's just on, that goes for the core, atom or RT versions.

When I enter an email address it pops up if I've written them an email, received one from them, or have them in my contacts. I'm pretty sure it's the same on iOS.

The mouse issue can be a pain in desktop mode, although you can improve this if you increase the DPI. 150% is decent, you can even do 200% and although some programs may have an issue I haven't found one yet, but it doesn't mean you won't find one, or several. It's a valid point though, BUT... at least you have the option of a desktop, especially if you want to dock the tablet and use it as a laptop. You have zero ability to use the ipad as a desktop, it's funny that you mention a mouse because you can't even use a mouse with an ipad.

What do you need a usb hub for that you wouldn't use on an ipad?!? There are Bluetooth mice out there. Doesn't that tablet have a full USB port? So you can use a usb wireless mouse as well, both no wire solutions. Doesn't the ipad have NO usb port?

I feel the opposite, an ipad or android tablet could never ever replace the functionality I get with a windows tablet. The beauty if there is no trade off in battery, size, weight, thinness, and they are cheaper.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Hmm, every single windows tablet I've ever used has woken from sleep instantly, maybe you had bad hardware? Cold boot time is about 10 seconds, but it would be extremely rare that you would have to cold boot. A windows tablet doesn't need to boot either, it's just on, that goes for the core, atom or RT versions.

When I enter an email address it pops up if I've written them an email, received one from them, or have them in my contacts. I'm pretty sure it's the same on iOS.

The mouse issue can be a pain in desktop mode, although you can improve this if you increase the DPI. 150% is decent, you can even do 200% and although some programs may have an issue I haven't found one yet, but it doesn't mean you won't find one, or several. It's a valid point though, BUT... at least you have the option of a desktop, especially if you want to dock the tablet and use it as a laptop. You have zero ability to use the ipad as a desktop, it's funny that you mention a mouse because you can't even use a mouse with an ipad.

What do you need a usb hub for that you wouldn't use on an ipad?!? There are Bluetooth mice out there. Doesn't that tablet have a full USB port? So you can use a usb wireless mouse as well, both no wire solutions. Doesn't the ipad have NO usb port?

I feel the opposite, an ipad or android tablet could never ever replace the functionality I get with a windows tablet. The beauty if there is no trade off in battery, size, weight, thinness, and they are cheaper.

I just spent 20 minutes replying to your post with examples. Just before I sent it. the tablet crashed loosing all of my work.
:mad:
I'll give it another go when time allows,

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I just spent 20 minutes replying to your post with examples. Just before I sent it. the tablet crashed loosing all of my work.
:mad:
I'll give it another go when time allows,

Arrghh, I hate it when that happens lol. I don't think there is much to post, here is a summary:

1) Windows tablets are instant on, you press the power button and they come out of "connected standby" immediately.
2) You can type letters into the To: box in the windows email app and it will pull up all the contacts you have, or have sent/received mail to/from, narrowing it down the more letters you type.
3) There are wireless mouse options, you don't need cords.
4) Desktop can kind of suck depending on the user and his tolerances/needs, I don't disagree with you there but just find the usefulness of it better than not having it at all.
5) I don't see what you need a powered usb hub for that you wouldn't need with an ipad as well, with the caveat that the ipad doesn't have a usb port at all.

This is meant with full respect, maybe you didn't give the windows tablet enough time or set it up the right way. It's tough to switch ecosystems and iOS and windows are different enough where it would throw anyone off.

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Arrghh, I hate it when that happens lol. I don't think there is much to post, here is a summary:

1) Windows tablets are instant on, you press the power button and they come out of "connected standby" immediately.

2) You can type letters into the To: box in the windows email app and it will pull up all the contacts you have, or have sent/received mail to/from, narrowing it down the more letters you type.

3) There are wireless mouse options, you don't need cords.

4) Desktop can kind of suck depending on the user and his tolerances/needs, I don't disagree with you there but just find the usefulness of it better than not having it at all.

5) I don't see what you need a powered usb hub for that you wouldn't need with an ipad as well, with the caveat that the ipad doesn't have a usb port at all.

This is meant with full respect, maybe you didn't give the windows tablet enough time or set it up the right way. It's tough to switch ecosystems and iOS and windows are different enough where it would throw anyone off.

When Win 8 tablet is on sleep mode, does the background process still works? Suppose if I'm downloading something and put it on sleep, does it still downloading in the background?

Do you have any good recommendation for cheap 8" or 10" win 8 pro tablet?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
When Win 8 tablet is on sleep mode, does the background process still works? Suppose if I'm downloading something and put it on sleep, does it still downloading in the background?

Background processes (checking email, updating apps, etc) still work on Windows 8 tablets that support InstantGo (formerly known as connected standby)
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/06/19/instantgo-a-better-way-to-sleep/

I would assume something that you're downloading from a browser would continue to download, but have never tested that specific scenario.

Do you really mean Windows 8 Pro, or do you just mean a non-RT version of Windows?

The cheaper tablets usually don't come with the Pro version of Windows, but you can upgrade to Pro yourself (as long as you don't have the RT version of Windows).

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

Windows has had speech recognition since at least Windows XP. It doesn't work well for me, but it might work for you.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/using-speech-recognition

My guess is that it will be better when Cortana gets integrated into Windows.

I MUST use a mouse to efficiently navigate the windows environment because the touch points are tiny..not so with my rMini.

Why do you compare touch-based navigation of the Windows desktop with navigating and iPad? It doesn't seem like a valid comparison to me. The valid comparison is touch navigation of the Windows metro UI with navigation on the iPad.

To effectively use the Omni 10, I have to have it on a stand with wires coming out the bottom connecting it to a powered usb hub.

This is only because you want to use the desktop, which is an optional use-case with a Windows tablet. And as mentioned by spinedoc, you could substitute the wires with bluetooth.

I took it out on a field trip yesterday and tethered it to my iPad Air, so without a wifi connection, you can't do much.

This is a specific limitation of your Omni 10. Other Windows tablets do have cellular connectivity.

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

Im a new owner of a Windows 8.1 tablet so I can't answer your first question but I can highly recommend HP Omni 10.
The HP site offered a 32 gig version but the Windows website offers a 64 GB version which is the one you probably would want. They're priced at less than $400 and that is about as cheap as you can get unless you buy used.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

The mouse issue can be a pain in desktop mode, although you can improve this if you increase the DPI. 150% is decent, you can even do 200% and although some programs may have an issue I haven't found one yet, but it doesn't mean you won't find one, or several. It's a valid point though, BUT... at least you have the option of a desktop, especially if you want to dock the tablet and use it as a laptop. You have zero ability to use the iPad as a desktop, it's funny that you mention a mouse because you can't even use a mouse with an iPad.

What do you need a usb hub for that you wouldn't use on an iPad?!? There are Bluetooth mice out there. Doesn't that tablet have a full USB port? So you can use a usb wireless mouse as well, both no wire solutions. Doesn't the iPad have NO usb port?

I feel the opposite, an iPad or android tablet could never ever replace the functionality I get with a windows tablet. The beauty if there is no trade off in battery, size, weight, thinness, and they are cheaper.

I will try this again, given I've got the time now.
To me, these items are conveniences that I have with the Apple tablets, that I don't have with the Windows tablets. As I stated earlier, the Windows tablets have their uses. I love mine. I look forward to the improvements that time will bring and I will/have replaced my laptop already with my Omni 10 64g tablet.

Wake from sleep: the windows tablet does waked from sleep instantly as does the iPad. after a half day of sleep, I notice a lower percentage in remaining battery on the Omni but none on the iPad. I can't trust the Windows tablet to maintain its charge while asleep so I've got to turn it off in periods of non use. The iPad can sleep for days (and my iPad Air does because I mainly use my rMini) without battery loss.

Email: I was referring to keyboard short cuts. I have several email addresses, for business, for friends for subscriptions etc. If I type 'em' and then a different letter I get my email address in full, ie eml is my live account, emg is my gmail account and so on. I can't find that convenience in Windows.
In addition, the mail account in Windows 8.1 is great, but it doesn't have the one feature that I always use on the iPad, and that is the unread tab.

Mouse: My fingers are not nimble enough to minimize a window without the use of a mouse on the Windows tablet. I don't need a mouse when navigating on the iPad, but I must have one to use the Omni. (My entire observation is about ease of use and the ability to use the windows tablet as a free standing tablet. ) Maybe as time goes on, I'll find more tricks that will let me use the Omni without a mouse, but as of now, I can't.

USB: A powered usb hub is necessary to connect anything to the Omni's micro usb connector. I've bought an adapter that lets me connect a dvd drive for loading programs and a usb stick to load programs and also transfer files. My Omni is actually completely wireless because I use a bluetooth speaker, and bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth mouse. I only use the usb connection when doing something out of the norm. I use ‘My Docs to Go’ to transfer files I need on the iPad and will add that program to the Omni also if I can find it. The windows version of that program is the mother ship so to speak.
The iPad does not have or need a usb connector. As mentioned, there are apps to quell that need.

I agree that the iPad or android tablet cannot replace the functionality of the Windows tablet, but I don't view my tablets as something for work. I use the tablet for pleasure, consumption mainly and find the iPad is more suited for my needs. I can and do work on them, but not routinely.
Neither tablet can replace the other at this point in time. They both have their uses and strong points.
The biggest drawback in using the Windows tablet as a tablet is its lack of ability to use dictation. Windows, although they may have that functionality, is not achieved easily.I've typed this on a Windows desktop (afraid of losing my work again lol) Using dictation on the iPad is probably its best quality. I answer text message from my friends and wife all day long on the iPad using voice to text and I have the iPad read long passages and long text messages to me all the time. Oh yea, what about texting on a windows tablet. Can it be done? All of my Apple devices sync and I text all day long to wife and friends. That is something I don't want to do without.
My iPad reads sections out of web pages, emails and whatever documents to me often, if you want a passage read back to you in windows, you must also have the first word of every paragraph on the page read to you whether you want it or not. Maybe I haven’t figured out its accessibility features yet, but I am trying.
Bottom Line - I love them both, use them both, enjoy them both, but can't use only one of them to do all that I do with these really useful devices.

----------

I started this thread under the alternatives to iOS devices. To me that meant a tablet that could replace an iPad. I don't think that the windows tablets can replace an iPad for convenience IMO.
I stick my rMini in my back pocket and go. It is with me 24/7's. It accompanied me to Las Vegas his week and was never left in the room but was used for navigation, how to play card games that I had never heard of before, and a host of other things while I was there. I don't feel I could've taken my Omni 10 with me and done the same things with the same ease. I can't even find a decent case for the Omni yet.
Ease-of-use in my opinion is why one tablet cannot replace the other. This post is done completely with voice to text and that can't be done on the Windows tablet easily, either.

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
To me, these items are conveniences that I have with the Apple tablets, that I don't have with the Windows tablets. As I stated earlier, the Windows tablets have their uses. I love mine. I look forward to the improvements that time will bring and I will/have replaced my laptop already with my Omni 10 64g tablet.

Wake from sleep: the windows tablet does waked from sleep instantly as does the iPad. after a half day of sleep, I notice a lower percentage in remaining battery on the Omni but none on the iPad. I can't trust the Windows tablet to maintain its charge while asleep so I've got to turn it off in periods of non use. The iPad can sleep for days (and my iPad Air does because I mainly use my rMini) without battery loss.

Email: I was referring to keyboard short cuts. I have several email addresses, for business, for friends for subscriptions etc. If I type 'em' and then a different letter I get my email address in full, ie eml is my live account, emg is my gmail account and so on. I can't find that convenience in Windows.
In addition, the mail account in Windows 8.1 is great, but it doesn't have the one feature that I always use on the iPad, and that is the unread tab.

Mouse: My fingers are not nimble enough to minimize a window without the use of a mouse on the Windows tablet. I don't need a mouse when navigating on the iPad, but I must have one to use the Omni. (My entire observation is about ease of use and the ability to use the windows tablet as a free standing tablet. ) Maybe as time goes on, I'll find more tricks that will let me use the Omni without a mouse, but as of now, I can't.

USB: A powered usb hub is necessary to connect anything to the Omni's micro usb connector. I've bought an adapter that lets me connect a dvd drive for loading programs and a usb stick to load programs and also transfer files. My Omni is actually completely wireless because I use a bluetooth speaker, and bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth mouse. I only use the usb connection when doing something out of the norm. I use ‘My Docs to Go’ to transfer files I need on the iPad and will add that program to the Omni also if I can find it. The windows version of that program is the mother ship so to speak.
The iPad does not have or need a usb connector. As mentioned, there are apps to quell that need.

I agree that the iPad or android tablet cannot replace the functionality of the Windows tablet, but I don't view my tablets as something for work. I use the tablet for pleasure, consumption mainly and find the iPad is more suited for my needs. I can and do work on them, but not routinely.
Neither tablet can replace the other at this point in time. They both have their uses and strong points.
The biggest drawback in using the Windows tablet as a tablet is its lack of ability to use dictation. Windows, although they may have that functionality, is not achieved easily.I've typed this on a Windows desktop (afraid of losing my work again lol) Using dictation on the iPad is probably its best quality. I answer text message from my friends and wife all day long on the iPad using voice to text and I have the iPad read long passages and long text messages to me all the time. Oh yea, what about texting on a windows tablet. Can it be done? All of my Apple devices sync and I text all day long to wife and friends. That is something I don't want to do without.
My iPad reads sections out of web pages, emails and whatever documents to me often, if you want a passage read back to you in windows, you must also have the first word of every paragraph on the page read to you whether you want it or not. Maybe I haven’t figured out its accessibility features yet, but I am trying.
Bottom Line - I love them both, use them both, enjoy them both, but can't use only one of them to do all that I do with these really useful devices.

----------

I started this thread under the alternatives to iOS devices. To me that meant a tablet that could replace an iPad. I don't think that the windows tablets can replace an iPad for convenience IMO.
I stick my rMini in my back pocket and go. It is with me 24/7's. It accompanied me to Las Vegas his week and was never left in the room but was used for navigation, how to play card games that I had never heard of before, and a host of other things while I was there. I don't feel I could've taken my Omni 10 with me and done the same things with the same ease. I can't even find a decent case for the Omni yet.
Ease-of-use in my opinion is why one tablet cannot replace the other. This post is done completely with voice to text and that can't be done on the Windows tablet easily, either.

I cant erase this comment for some reason

Last edited:

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio

----------

What? These kind of "windows tablets" are made for work. I can install native windows programs and have them work may be not be fastest but they work. If you brought this tablet for media viewing or email you brought it for the wrong reason.

You complain about default email app? So install a different one outlook, thunderbird and zimbra Desktop come to mind.

Yes the ipad does need usb connector for flashdrives and external harddrives or mirco sd slot would do

Running a full windows tablet you can install any desktop program or game.. which is the reason must buy them for light gaming or work

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Background processes (checking email, updating apps, etc) still work on Windows 8 tablets that support InstantGo (formerly known as connected standby)

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/06/19/instantgo-a-better-way-to-sleep/

I would assume something that you're downloading from a browser would continue to download, but have never tested that specific scenario.

Do you really mean Windows 8 Pro, or do you just mean a non-RT version of Windows?

The cheaper tablets usually don't come with the Pro version of Windows, but you can upgrade to Pro yourself (as long as you don't have the RT version of Windows).

I was referring to nonRT Win8 tablet that runs on atom baytrail processor, which is quite cheap.

What? These kind of "windows tablets" are made for work. I can install native windows programs and have them work may be not be fastest but they work. If you brought this tablet for media viewing or email you brought it for the wrong reason.

You complain about default email app? So install a different one outlook, thunderbird and zimbra Desktop come to mind.

Yes the ipad does need usb connector for flashdrives and external harddrives or mirco sd slot would do

Running a full windows tablet you can install any desktop program or game.. which is the reason must buy them for light gaming or work

For consumption device, iPad is still a better choice. But my biggest problem on iPad is the safari tab reloading. I hope the next ipad either comes with 2gb ram or solve this annoying issue. Also a multi-window would be nice.

I use my tablet basically for browsing, watching movies, reading email, reading news and tapatalk. So I don't think switching to Windows tablet would be a problem for me. On the plus side, I can download files and upload big files to my web server overnight without using my laptop.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I was referring to nonRT Win8 tablet that runs on atom baytrail processor, which is quite cheap.

I don't have a Win8 tablet at the moment, but I've been looking around. I have a preference for 10" tablets that have a keyboard or keyboard accessory with a physical (non-bluetooth) connector. I'm looking for something that provides a middle ground between my full size laptop and iPad mini.

If you're interested in something similar and you want to go cheap, the main two options seem to be Asus T100 and Acer Switch 10.

I've decided I'm going to buy the Switch 10 because of more spacious keyboard & I'm curious to try its Yoga-like keyboard hinge mechanism. It does seem to have significantly worse battery life than the T100 though (according to reviews).

I'm not really interested in 8" Windows tablets and haven't looked into them, so unfortunately can't really suggest anything in that category.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think window tablets have some advantages over the iPad and vice versa. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

I like the idea of running a full blow desktop OS, using the apps that I need but I think a laptop is a better option to running a desktop OS. I may decide to get a win tablet if the Christmas sales are tempting enough.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

I purchased the Win8 tablet and was in investigative mode when I did. I wanted to see if it was possible to use it as a main tablet.
Well, my efforts to make it my primary portable tablet failed, but it taught me that it is a great device in its own right, more suited for work than play. Yes, I can play on it, but find the iPads much more convenient to use.
After all, the Omni 10 IS a tablet and the makers want us to use it as such.
I am not dissin the win 8 tablets in any way, but I am pointing out the things that make them less satisfying to use. Their biggest downfall to me is the lack of ease in use for voice options and the keyboard shortcuts Apple style.
I will continue to grow with my Omni 10 tablet. I do wish I had the option to buy the accessories that makes the Surface 3 a better tablet to have. Maybe those accessories are coming.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozaz

The Omni 10 comes with Win 8.1, not RT
I'm assuming from your statement that I don't have the Pro version. In a nutshell, can you tell me the advantage of the Pro version and what is the cost to upgrade?
TIA , Ron

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozaz

The Omni 10 comes with Win 8.1, not RT
I'm assuming from your statement that I don't have the Pro version. In a nutshell, can you tell me the advantage of the Pro version and what is the cost to upgrade?
TIA , Ron

Yeah the Omni 10 looks like its Win 8.1 rather than Win 8.1 Pro

Here are some pages that show the difference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx

Pro mainly has additional enterprise-focussed features. The only feature I've ever used that requires Pro is bitlocker encryption.

The standard upgrade price from 8.1 to 8.1 Pro is not cheap. See here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/feature-packs

However, sometimes you're able to get a Windows Pro license through your company or University (if you are a student or staff in education) for very cheap (depending on what type of agreement they have with Microsoft, I suppose). For example, I can buy Win 8.1 Pro from my University for £10.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Yeah the Omni 10 looks like its Win 8.1 rather than Win 8.1 Pro

Here are some pages that show the difference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx

Pro mainly has additional enterprise-focussed features. The only feature I've ever used that requires Pro is bitlocker encryption.

The standard upgrade price from 8.1 to 8.1 Pro is not cheap. See here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/feature-packs

However, sometimes you're able to get a Windows Pro license through your company or University (if you are a student or staff in education) for very cheap (depending on what type of agreement they have with Microsoft, I suppose). For example, I can buy Win 8.1 Pro from my University for £10.

Thank you for the info I will certainly research and look into upgrading to the Version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.