Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I have Windows 8 Professional installed via Bootcamp on my mid-2011 27" iMac.

After the initial install, which went smoothly, everything looked great. However, the next day and ever since I have been unable to get my screen resolution back to the iMac's native 2560x1440. Windows gives me a few resolution options, but nothing past 1920x1440.

My first thought was to make sure everything was up to date, but had problems trying to install the "29 important updates" that were available. Every time I opened Windows Update (?) it said there were 29 important updates, but then when I would go to install them, it would instantly tell me the task was complete and that "29 updates were not needed." I would reopen Windows Update again and it would still say 29 important updates were ready to be installed.

It's weird that overnight I seemed to have lost the ability to run Windows at native resolution, and it's a bummer because as it is now it's basically unusable.

Any ideas on how to fix either of the issues mentioned above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT:
of course, upon posting this and trying several times to get Windows Update to work, it randomly decided to do so, and now the resolution issue has fixed itself. :eek:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.