Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichyRich50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
My main question is in regards to performance on default OS x compared to performance on boot-camped Windows 10. I understand that windows based games will run better on windows but's that not what I am asking. I am using a 2018 Macbook pro 15, Are there any performance loss when running bootcamp on a MBP? Does Windows boot camp have direct access to all the hardware in the Mac? so... If I were to run the same game with the same specs on a windows computer vs windows boot camp on mac will there be a difference?

I have heard rumors that windows boot camp has limited asses on mac os... is this true. Can I still use 100% of GPU and CPU power when running WBC?

Here is an article that I read about the comparison. The article was written back in August 5, 2011 so pretty outdated. Can anyone shed some light on this matter. Thanks!!!!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-hidden-costs-of-running-windows-on-a-mac/

Last edited:

pspman71

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2017
My main question is in regards to performance on default OS x compared to performance on boot-camped Windows 10. I understand that windows based games will run better on windows but's that not what I am asking. I am using a 2018 Macbook pro 15, Are there any performance loss when running bootcamp on a MBP? Does Windows boot camp have direct access to all the hardware in the Mac? so... If I were to run the same game with the same specs on a windows computer vs windows boot camp on mac will there be a difference?

I have heard rumors that windows boot camp has limited asses on mac os... is this true. Can I still use 100% of GPU and CPU power when running WBC?

Here is an article that I read about the comparison. The article was written back in August 5, 2011 so pretty outdated. Can anyone shed some light on this matter. Thanks!!!!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-hidden-costs-of-running-windows-on-a-mac/
Yes the rumors are true while you can do it battery life is not that good because macOS is optimized for mac windows on the other hand think of windows as the optimization part of android aka runs on many phones there. For tweaked for every phone(screen size, RAM)stuff like that although I could be wrong windows might run better thats most cases on mac a mac might be the best windows pc

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
By far I prefer MacOS and use a Mac Mini, but I have a few work programs that require Windows. To run in Boot Camp mode on the Mac Mini, what is the correct version of Windows I should buy? The Home Retail Version for $130? Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are there any performance loss when running bootcamp on a MBP
If you're relying on apple provided drivers for windows, then you need to come to the realization that apple does not optimize them very well, nor do they update the drivers as regular as we'd prefer. Does that mean that windows runs slower? I don't know, but it does mean that you may be better off loading the native drivers that can be found on the web.

Another point as you had mentioned is power saving, MBPs have worse battery life in windows, apple doesn't include much power saving in its set up for windows, and I could be wrong, but there's no way to switch the GPU in windows, so its always going to be using the dGPU.

I'm happy with the performance in windows, but then I'm not looking to squeeze every cpu cycle out of the machine. My needs are fairly humble compared to the others.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I've found Windows 10 performance to be significantly better than macOS Mojave on my late 2013 Macbook Pro. The trade-off is reduced battery life and increased heat, which are annoying features but not show stoppers for me. As I understand it, under Bootcamp, your machine is actually running Windows natively - Bootcamp is just an easy installer and driver package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.