Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
i really need help. i installed windows with bootcamp and everything seems to work perfectly. but everytime i start my mbp i have to press the alt button b4 i press the power on button, after a few seconds the login screen shows up and i can choose between osx or windows.

is there any hint or trick to get that screen automatically? problem is i forget it most of the time and then=>:eek: windows arrives. i am sure there is somewhere a boot selector which comes automatic without pressing anything.

btw, windows xp pro with sp2 is installed, if it does matter.

thx :cool:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
In Windows, there should be a Startup Disk (or something phrased like that) utility in the Control Panel that can be used to set which OS boots by default.

I'm pretty sure that the same tool exists in OS X, but I've always done my switching from XP...

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
you can set which OS boots if you dont press the magic button.
i dont know of a way to get the boot option page to come up though without holding the button.

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
slackersonly said:
you can set which OS boots if you dont press the magic button.
i dont know of a way to get the boot option page to come up though without holding the button.

actually i can't. i have 2 press the alt button (b4 power on) to get to the bootselector. otherwise windows will come up. :confused:

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
brilami said:
actually i can't. i have 2 press the alt button (b4 power on) to get to the bootselector. otherwise windows will come up. :confused:

1. Go to the Control Panel in Windows or System Preferences in OSX
2. Select the "Startup Disk" item (double-click if necessary)
3. Choose either OSX or Windows to boot automatically

There's no way to have the boot menu appear without pressing the ALT key, as far as I know (and I dislike that too).

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
I second Reflex's post above. I had the same problem when I installed XP on my Macbook. When you go to Control Panel>Startup Disks>click on Mac OSX and then restart. From now on, every time you power on your Mac, it will automatically boot into OSX instead of XP.

There is a program out that automatically takes you to the Boot Selector after you power on without holding down the option key. I forgot the name of it though. I'll update later.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
I second Reflex's post above. I had the same problem when I installed XP on my Macbook. When you go to Control Panel>Startup Disks>click on Mac OSX and then restart. From now on, every time you power on your Mac, it will automatically boot into OSX instead of XP.

It's not a problem. Do you expect the computer to read your mind and automatically boot into the OS you want? It has to have some sort of input to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.