Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Today, Microsoft has announced availability of Windows drivers for the Xbox One controller. They apparently provide support for every game that was compatible with the 360 controller. Just install the software, plug in with a micro USB cable, and you're away.

Download links for 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows are available here if you don't want to wait for them to be rolled into an OS update.

I can finally get rid of the cheap off-brand 360 controller I've been using in Boot Camp. Hopefully we'll see some third-party OS X drivers. Is there support for this controller already in Feral and/or Aspyr titles?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
It will need a minor update to the open source 360 drivers but support should eb pretty simple once that's done even for most of our older games (no patches needed).

Edwin

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Because the Xbox One controller is not compatible with the 360 receiver. Different hardware, different drivers.

Aahhh, gotcha, I know no difference because I have never been involved in the Xbox, just use a 360 controller on my Mac.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Windows drivers for Xbox One controller now available

Yup, if they would just hurry up with a receiver I'd pick up one of those and another controller in an instant.

I'm waiting patiently. They better have one by Christmas. If a game supports xbox 360 controllers, will it support the one controller? Probably not right?....
I'm wondering if I can make one myself using arduino though. Probably not.....

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
If a game supports xbox 360 controllers, will it support the one controller? Probably not right?....

That's what MS is saying. There doesn't appear to be 100% compatibility yet but most of the issues seem to be with indie titles.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I'm not understanding your point. The Xbox One driver is supposed to work in any game that supported the 360 controller. No need for hacks, emulators, etc.

Oh. I thought it would need to be supported as a completely different controller, since there are two buttons that are different.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Boo! If I'd have known this was coming I wouldn't have bought a new 360 controller. :(

Oh well. It isn't as if there is much difference between the two pads.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Boo! If I'd have known this was coming I wouldn't have bought a new 360 controller. :(

Oh well. It isn't as if there is much difference between the two pads.

I actually found a 2nd-hand, but mint condition wired 360 controller for 1/3 of what a new Xbox One version would have cost, so I went with that as a replacement for my shoddy 3rd-party one.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I hope that developers start adding support for the rumble triggers into games, that'd be a nice addition. Not even sure if that function is in the driver, but hey, might as well hope.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I hope that developers start adding support for the rumble triggers into games, that'd be a nice addition. Not even sure if that function is in the driver, but hey, might as well hope.

It's definitely not in any Mac drivers and will need to be reverse engineered but if the PC game has the feature and if the Mac drivers have the feature then their is no reason that the support couldn't be added.

But right now that sentence has a lot of "ifs" :)

Edwin

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Most likely not gonna happen, as the Xbox One controller is just posing as an Xbox 360 controller as it is now. I already have a wireless adapter for 360 controllers so I'm happy with them, the One controller doesn't bring anything new to the table except of course it feels nicer in hand.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
We have an XBOX One pad working on OS X in our testing environment with the latest game in development :) No eta on it being seen in a shipping game yet but I can confirm it's possible. Updating Tattiebogle should not be that hard either.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
We have an XBOX One pad working on OS X in our testing environment with the latest game in development :) No eta on it being seen in a shipping game yet but I can confirm it's possible. Updating Tattiebogle should not be that hard either.

Castle Of Illusion shipped with USB XBONE support natively, all games from now on (apart from LEGO titles) will have native support.

For the $1000 reward tier, I want a custom-painted Xbox One console, not just the freaking controller.

To be honest, I'll be stunned if that project ends up even getting halfway to its goal.

Modifying the Tattiebogle open source drives should be an easier method as I think the edits needed will be pretty simple to implement and cost a lot less than $1000. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.